Koodo Community

Community

How can I access additional LTE bands on my koodo LG X Power?

Hi I am travelling to Denmark with an unlocked koodo phone. However, I cannot access the LTE bands required to use LTE in denmark which are Band20-800MHz, Band3-1800MHz, or Band7-2600MHz. The phone hardware says it supports these bands, but I cannot activate them. How can I go about doing that? Thank you for any responses.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Steve.

Do you have 3G but no LTE?
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Hi Robert, Currently it can only access the 2G band in Denmark, but not the 3G or LTE bands. Somehow those are locked although the hardware specs say it is supported.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Did you activate data roaming?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

What model number is your phone? It could be possible that your phone doesn't support Denmarks 3G or LTE bands.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

He said :

The phone hardware says it supports these bands, but I cannot activate them. 

So I doubt that is the problem...
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

It's the LG K210 (Canadian variant of the LG X Power). Other regions use the LG K220.
According to this site, no dice on LTE bands 3 and 20, but band 7 should work. I'm even surprised that you'd get any LTE off that phone in Europe.
If you're looking at GSMArena or other sites for the LG X Power and checking out their LTE bands, they'll probably mention the ones integrated in the European variant.
For others consulting this thread, if you're considering acquiring a phone and plan on using it in other continents (Europe/Asia/Oceania/Africa), I'd recommend bumping to a Moto Z/Z Play or iPhone 7, they seem to include a far larger range of LTE bands.
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Enabling data roaming didn't seem to have any effect. The model I have is LGK210. According to the specs, I should be able to access band 2100 for 3G. and also band 7 (2600) for 4G. Koodo also has them listed on this page http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling Either of those are the bands I need in denmark but neither are activated.
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Hi Steve. You should get 3G 2100 MHz (that's like Freedom Mobile's 3G network here). Freedom also carries the LG X Power. There is a small chance that frequency wouldn't work on Koodo's X Powers given that Rogers/Bell/Telus LG G3's have that frequency disabled (but can be enabled on rooted devices).
The page you referenced lists the frequencies used by different MNO's abroad.
For the LG X Power you might be out of luck. I don't know of any method or reliable source for bootloader unlocking on the LG X Power.
Your most cost-effective option is to buy an LTE-ready device in Denmark, because even their cheapest LTE phones will support their LTE frequencies, plus you wouldn't void any warrantees in the process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

willmyphonework.net only lists 2 models of the LG X Power, a European and Russian. Both of them supposedly work fine in Denmark but would not work with Koodo.

A particular unlisted submodel which works with Koodo might not work on the European bands. Typically modern Androids come with 850/1900 + 900/1800 capability to handle voice pretty well world-wide.. explains why he picks up the 2G signal. Those LTE bands he is looking for are not that common out of the box on North American phones. Might have more luck using a provider that uses the 800 & 1800 bands, but no guarantee.

A typical Canadian LG model (G3) is iffy for data in Denmark.

The European versions of the X Power support the extra bands, but no Canadian version is listed.

Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Thanks for the help all. From what i am reading, looks like I am in a real unfortunate situation since I was planning to use those phone for the next several months. I contacted LG about this and they told me that Koodo should be able to give me a USSD code to unlock the disabled bands. Is that a possibility? Or is there no hope at this point?
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

@Steve: I have not yet heard of carriers providing USSD codes to unlock disabled bands. In fact, in many cases, the phones are manufactured without the bands at all.
The only workaround I know is for select phones with unlocked bootloaders, where you can sideload zips from other carrier/market variants of the device to potentially enable bands. My example was enabling 3G AWS network (used by Freedom Mobile) on the Rogers/Bell/Telus variants of the LG G3.
I know on the Moto G 1st gen, if you got it from Freedom Mobile, but flashed a different firmware (say you were on Kitkat and you wanted to get Lollipop faster), you'd lose compatibility with Freedom by doing so.
Your easy options are to either get an expensive phone from here that carry a very generous aray of LTE bands, or to grab a budget phone off the shelf in Europe. Since your X Power is unlocked, I'd still recommend travelling with it. Getting 2G is better than nothing, and you can use it for camera, browsing on wifi, use it as a backup phone, etc.
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Hey steve I am having the same issue only i am in Ireland any updates??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

@Peter: he was here 1 year ago, I don't think he would respond to you. It might be better to open a new thread.
What phone are you using btw? and are you using easyroam in Ireland?
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Using the exact same phone. I have tried 2 Irish providers to no avail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

@Peter: the OP had problems with LTE bands, so I assumed you had similar issue.
How was you call/text. Can you do it. Can you access data on 3G?

The LG X Power had limited LTE bands, Irish carriers might not have something to support.
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Yup I have calls and texts but only 2g data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

@peter: Well, It might be the limitation of the phone with carriers LTE network there.
Have you tried to put your SIM in another phone and see if it can pick up any LTE/3G networks? I searched vodaphone there. It seems they are using different LTE bands  https://www.frequencycheck.com/carriers/vodafone-ireland
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

Sim works fine in the other phone. I am using 3 mobile. Is there any software solution to this problem. Or does the phone just not work on lte?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Steve.

It is a hardware problem, I believe.
I don't think there is a software patch that could help. You could try to switch to another roaming carriers there and see if the phone could pickup any 3G/LTE at all, just in case.