Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Hotspot won't work with other devices

I want to use my Samsung Galaxy J5 as a hotspot to provide internet for my laptop. Unfortunately, although my computer shows as connected on the hotspot's wifi, I cannot access any pages online. My 6GB plan works perfectly on my phone; it's an issue when I want to use its internet for other devices. I believe it's a problem with the phone, as I bought it new in a Samsung store in Shanghai while studying abroad. Some aspects of the phone are different because Google, including Google play, is blocked in China. Would any of you have recommendations as to what I could do to resolve this issue? It could very well not be a problem with the fact that I bought the phone in China.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Check your APN settings and make sure that Apn Type shows as

APN Type: Default, MMS, supl, dun Also be careful tethering to your computer as your computer will burn through your data quickly.
Thanks Chad! It shows as : default,supl,mms,dun
Userlevel 7
Can you try hooking up another device to your hotspot and see if that works?
I tried connecting my brother's phone, but there would still be no internet.
Userlevel 7
NunavutQuebec wrote:

Is there more than one APN listed? If so delete all but the koodo apn.
NunavutQuebec wrote:

Amazing! I deleted all the other APNs, the majority of which was from Telus, and it's working now. Thank you so much for your help!
Userlevel 7
NunavutQuebec wrote:

Anytime. Glad I could help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are some carriers around the world that block tethering all together so that very well may be the case here with your Asian carrier model.