Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Help with phone activation!

So...we are trying to get our son a new cell phone .He currently has a Koodo account but the phone was damaged. We have an android phone that was previously with bell. The contract is up on it, and we bought it second hand. Is it at all possible to switch the android to his current Koodo account? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

13 replies

Userlevel 4
As long as the android phone is unlocked, you just need to bring it to Koodo.  If it's not unlocked, I think Bell has to unlock it, given that your contract is over.

Oh.  you said you brought the phone to Bell.

You probably don't have to do anything.  Just sign up
Danny wrote:

As long as the android phone is unlocked, you just need to bring it to Koodo.  If it's not u...

Yeah we bought it from someone, their contract is over. I know we need a new SIM card. We already have the Koodo account. So is it as easy as going getting the new SIM card, getting his number switched over? I'm highly doubting it hahah but that would be fantastic.
Danny wrote:

As long as the android phone is unlocked, you just need to bring it to Koodo.  If it's not u...

Sorry read that wrong
Userlevel 4
Danny wrote:

if you already have a koodo account, try putting in a Koodo SIM in the phone in question to see if it just works.  if your phone is unlocked, it should.

Also, to switch your number, the number has to be still/already active on another provider.  Make sure you make the switch while your account is still active with Bell.  Switching over will cancel it automatically.
Danny wrote:

Ok....here come my stupid questions haha...the bell phone is an android and the previous account it already cancelled because it was not ours, so with no account being active on it does that cause an issue with unlocking? (If it needs to be unlocked) The phone he had/has with Koodo is an iPhone...I apologize but I am 100% out of the loop when it comes to this and correct me if I am wrong, do iPhones have SIM cards I do not remember my old one having one or I just never seen them put it in.
Userlevel 4
Danny wrote:

1)  Whether or not your phone is locked or unlocked has nothing to do with whether or not it's locked or unlocked

2)  if your account is already cancelled, you won't be able to move the phone number that was attached to that account.  That number is lost.  You'll need to get a new one.

It's possible that your old iphone was on the (old, retired) CDMA network and didn't have a SIM. It's unlikely, though.  What kind of iphone is it?  I have a new one and the SIM is inserted on the side. You need to use the tool that came with it or a paperclip to pull out the drawer that takes the SIM
Danny wrote:

It's an iPhone4
Userlevel 4
Danny wrote:

your android probably takes a different sized SIM than your iphone.

So, getting to the fundamental issue...  Will your old (likely unlocked) phone that worked on Bell work with Koodo.  Probably!  Sounds like it.  

Take it into a Koodo store/kiosk and give it a try.
Danny wrote:

his Koodo account is still active, the phone is just damaged, the phone with the bell account is not active. ...if I want the Koodo phone number I with the account He already has I can not have it I will have to get a new one for him? ? Sorry , not sure if I'm understanding this right
Danny wrote:

Ok thank you!
Userlevel 4
Danny wrote:

Just take the SIM out of the phone he has now and put it in the phone he wants to use.

done.

if it's a differently-sized SIM, then get a new one from Koodo.
Userlevel 4
Danny wrote:

SIM slot on the android should be under the battery.  take out the battery and there's your SIM slot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Danny wrote:

If the phone was previously with Bell and never used with Koodo, chances are you will need to unlock it (unless it was a Nexus phone)