Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Help! My Moto X Play screen is black and "Start Up Failed" message appears.

Not sure what happened as I was just checking msgs and my screen went black.  I have tried downloading the Software Repair Assistant but it won't download. I am with Koodo. Help!!!

9 replies

Did you applied some update just before the incident? Did you try to hold the power button to shut it down? It looks like a system update went wrong?
Badge +4
I'm wondering if an update got interrupted by mistake. The boot image is one of the first items to load when your phone starts. If that area of the system becomes damaged or the system can't validate the boot area, the phone will continue to show the error message. I can't access the Software Repair Assistant either, so your next option is to send the phone in for repair. The work should be covered under the manufacturers one year warranty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Where did you try to download the software repair assistant from?
Goran wrote:

Where did you try to download the software repair assistant from?

Both the Motorola and Verizon sight.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Were you doing an update anytime around when it happened?
Goran wrote:

No, just regular use. Checking msgs etc.
Goran wrote:

Ok, check this link http://www.teamandroid.com/2015/09/16...

When you get to the recovery screen, if you can acces it, of course, maybe performing a factory reset or trying the option to install an update from adb might restore it. Note that everything that has not been saved will be erased. But everything that has been sync to your Google account is safe. Check this link too.. More images for the operation http://guidebelajar.blogspot.ca/2015/...
Badge +4
I can't quite see the upper part of the phone clearly. If you scroll through the options, where the two white arrows are and use the the volume up/down buttons on the side of your phone to scroll, you might be able to get into Recovery mode. From there, you might be able to perform a factory reset. Make sure the phone has a full charge or is at least plugged into the supplied wall charger. Researching the message displayed under Fastboot Reason: Fall-through from charger boot mode USB connected. This message appears to relate to a possible charging problem. Have you had any battery or charging issues lately? For example, the battery wouldn't charge to full capacity, or it ran down sooner than expected. Do you charge the phone using the supplied wall charger or do use a USB cable connected to your computer to charge the device? On some computers, the voltage output on USB 2.0 ports may not supply enough voltage to sufficiently charge the phones' battery to full capacity and instead 'trickle' charges the battery. The Moto X Play has a large capacity 3630 mAh battery and comes with a specially designed wall charger for this purpose. A long shot, but try charging the phones' battery using the wall charger and see if its possible to reboot the phone. I think this is both a software glitch and a hardware problem combined. Not an easy fix. If none of these suggestions yield any results, the best course of action would be to send the phone in for repair.
Thanks everyone, it looks like I have to send it in.  Bugger!