Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Help! 2ndhand phone blacklisted with outstanding Koodo balance

I'm posting this for a friend, who purchased an Android phone secondhand off of Kijiji recently. The owner said he didn't realize that the phone was locked to Koodo (friend's SIM card was Bell) so they bought the phone anyways, which we are definitely regretting now!

When my friend brought it in to get the phone unlocked, the cell store owner informed them that the phone was blacklisted. They contacted the original owner, and he explained he had reported the phone as lost at one point, and he would call Koodo to get it off the blacklist. Unfortunately, it turns out he has an outstanding balance on the phone, which he claims he can't pay - he has also refused to take back the phone & return my money. As far as I know, he was the original owner of the phone (not selling a stolen phone) but I'm not sure if that makes a difference at this point!!

Is there any way to remove the phone from Koodo's blacklist, without paying the enormous outstanding balance? How legal is changing the IMEI number (someone offered to do this for us)? Is it even legal for my friend to have this phone? Is there anything Koodo would do, or should we report this to anyone?

I realize it was a terribly naive mistake for my friend to have bought the phone after seeing their SIM didn't work, but they're desperately trying to figure out how to recover - can anyone explain the options? What's the right thing to do?!?!
icon

Best answer by Mayumi 24 July 2015, 18:47

Koodo will NOT  remove the phone from Koodo's blacklist, without paying the outstanding balance.  

" Unfortunately, it turns out he has an outstanding balance on the phone, which he claims he can't pay - he has also refused to take back the phone & return my money. "
 - The person sold you a phone that has an outstanding balance and he won't/can't pay it. I would report to kijiji about seller as well as police. Those case might be low priority for police but it is fraud.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo will NOT  remove the phone from Koodo's blacklist, without paying the outstanding balance.  

" Unfortunately, it turns out he has an outstanding balance on the phone, which he claims he can't pay - he has also refused to take back the phone & return my money. "
 - The person sold you a phone that has an outstanding balance and he won't/can't pay it. I would report to kijiji about seller as well as police. Those case might be low priority for police but it is fraud.