Koodo Community

Community

Haven't received Nougat Android 7 for Moto G4 Plus

I've had this phone for a few days now. I bought it unlocked and used my old sim from my Moto G3. I live in Vancouver. I have tried updating software but it says my software is up to date. I tried dialing *#*#checkin#*#* which successfully checked in but I still received no software update. How do I get the Android update for my phone? Is there a manual process? Thanks!

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you checked to see if your phone already has the update? The unlocked version got the update before the Koodo version so chances are you already have it.
Allan wrote:

Have you checked to see if your phone already has the update? The unlocked version got the update...

It is running Android 6.0.1
Allan wrote:

Have you checked to see if your phone already has the update? The unlocked version got the update...

I bought it new and i dont think it has been rooted. Got it from https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IYTVH46/ref=pe_386430_121528420_TE_dp_1
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

I would contact motorolla. They may not have the update out for that specific model or there may just be some weird problem.
Userlevel 7
Allan wrote:

Was this phone sent to you unlocked or did they send you an unlock code after the sale? The phone may have originally been locked to another carrier, if that's the case you may need to manually update this device using a computer and a USB cable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

The phone was sent unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Allan wrote:

On the link the OP provided...it states that the code is sent along with the phone...unless you know something I don't Allan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

I know soneone who bought a phone from here that was sent unlocked. After looking through though it seems as though the seller may sell a variety of unlocked and locked with codes. JM liked my post which leads me to believe he recieved one that was just unlocked though. I thought i edited my comment to say this but i guess it didnt go through. Sorry about that!
Allan wrote:

Yeah I didn't put in a code, I just popped in my old SIM and away I went.
Allan wrote:

I tried contacting Motorola; the irony was that their chat didn't work on my phone lol
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

The seller may have sim-unlocked the phone prior to selling it.
I'm a Moto enthusiast myself, so I may be able to shed some light...
In your phone, go Settings>About Phone, then look under baseband. It should show "[...]Athene_(carrier or retail)_cust" or something of the like. If it's "retail", then it'd be the unlocked variant, if it shows Bell/Telus/Rogers/etc. then it's a carrier phone, and would have been unlocked via an unlock code.
I heard that carrier G4 plus phones already got the Nougat update, though sometimes this is done in waves (not all devices at once).
If you're too anxious for Nougat, you can unlock bootloader, boot into TWRP and sideload OTA. You could even flash Lineage ROM (which replaced Cyanogen) and get Android 7.1.1. Moto G4 Plus Athene Lineage ROM download page. This will void warranty, but you'll be on the bleeding edge! Plus you'll get the ROM's OTA's for much longer than Moto's OTA's.
Just a thought if not getting the Nougat update is preventing you from sleeping at night 😃
Allan wrote:

Thanks - it says Athene_Latam_DSDS_Cust .... I'm not sure what the difference between sim unlocked and carrier and stuff means lol. One of the reasons I bought the G4 Plus was because the Motorola website listed it as getting an update and I hated not having any updates on the G3 (to be honest mostly because people would send me emojis and all I'd see is a little envelope symbol because I was so far behind on Android versions). Do you know what LATAM_DSDS means?
Userlevel 6
Allan wrote:

Great! You have the Latin American variant. You have to wait until Lenovo/Moto releases the OTA for Latin American market.
It would not be carrier-locked, but it wouldn't be "Retail Canada" either.
Allan wrote:

Thank you! If I have a Latin American version, will I still get the update being with (Canadian) Koodo?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Yes. The carrier ROM on the phone determines when you get the OTA update, not the carrier your phone is currently active on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Yes. The carrier ROM on the phone determines when you get the OTA update, not the carrier your phone is currently active on.