Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Have used up all my phone data for the month while traveling in manitoba.

Have used up all my monthly plan phone data for the month while traveling in manitoba. Data has been disabled and I got a warning that roaming charges will be incurred. I just want to have the koodo data overage charge kick in. Can't call customer service on sunday because they are closed and I need data. Is there anything I can do?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can'T you reply to that text saying that you want more data? It doesn't give you that option?
I upgraded my plan to one with more data and that seems to have worked.  I am just hoping that koodo will be able to downgrade me to my previous plan for next month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob Sovereign wrote:

I upgraded my plan to one with more data and that seems to have worked.  I am just hoping th...

Hey Bob, you can change plans once a month so as long as the plan you had before is still available you can change it online. You now over three times as much data as you had before so that should help.
Bob Sovereign wrote:

I upgraded my plan to one with more data and that seems to have worked.  I am just hoping th...

Thank you Bernard.

I succeeded in changing my plan and that is fine, however, my question is, why did I not just get an overage charge Instead of having to change plans?  I would have preferred to just have the $5/100mb charge automatically kick in.  Instead, my data just stopped as soon as it reached the 300mb threshold.  This happened on a weekend, in Manitoba, and caused a great deal of stress and difficulty. 

I am concerned for the following reasons:
  • I am concerned for next month that I won't be able to get my old plan back. 
  • It is way more hassle changing plans back and forth when I really just wanted to pay the extra charge. 
  • My usage screen now is horribly confusing.  
  • Changing plans will have cost me more than the data overage charge. 
I'm really not very happy about this.  As well, I need to know how to deal with this for the next time this happens. 

Regards, Bob Sovereign

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bob Sovereign wrote:

Hi Bob -  If I'm looking at the correct account (ending in 821?), it looks like you had shock-free data as a feature on your previous $40 plan. Meaning when you received notification that you've used up all of your data, a temporary block was put on so that you don't unknowingly incur overage charges. The message you received should have also stated that if you want to turn your data back on, respond 'Yes' to do so and accept the overage charges. Do you remember the message mentioning this portion/do you still have that text to verify? This would allow you to continue using your existing plan and simply pay the overage vs having to change your plan as you did.

With regards to switching your plan back, it looks like we have a slightly better plan available for you at the moment, for the same price: $40/mth for 500mb of data, 500 Canada-wide minutes.

Does this help answer your questions?
Bob Sovereign wrote:

Ranjan,

That is the correct account.

There was a text sent earlier that said we were at 90% but there was no option to increase data. 

The next day, the data was turned off and a message popped up on the phone that said we were out of region (we were in Anola Manitoba) and data roaming would be expensive.  As soon as I changed the plan, the data turned back on and everything was fine.  So if there was an option to just increase the data, it must have been hidden somewhere else.

Thank you for the information about the plan.  It does sound like a better deal.

Regards, Bob