Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Handset return policy at Best Buy

I just bought the LG g4 model at Best Buy and the staff told me that the return policy was valid for 14 days as long as there was no more than 50MB of data used during that period.  The same day, after updates, etc., the data usage reports over 130MB used.  Does this make sense?  Or is it inevitable that you will surpass the 50MB limit just by turning on the device and updating?

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi Art, sounds about right because apps get updated regularly in the Google Store, and by default, apps may auto-update once data is turned on, unless you change the auto-update setting to WiFi only. If you plan to return the phone, I would explain to Best Buy that the updates happened automatically without any input on your end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't know about Best Buy, but some places would still allow the return, but you would be expected to pay for the use plan. The phone has no more wear and tear for consuming the data, but someone needs pay for consumption..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just perform a factory reset and it will wipe the phone so it will show that no data was used, I'm not usually one to be sneaky like this but having any kind of call or data limit attached to a return period is absolutely ridiculous IMO.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Just perform a factory reset and it will wipe the phone so it will show that no data was used, I'...

Thank you Paul.  This makes sense.  I am not planning on returning the phone as I like it but the return policy Best Buy suggested seemed like a set up for failure by default.  Guess I was thinking of the data usage as seen by the carrier as opposed to the data usage they would see on the actual mobile device itself.  

Does this only apply if you are using a WiFi connection?
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Just perform a factory reset and it will wipe the phone so it will show that no data was used, I'...

Best Buy Canada adheres to a 15-day return policy as per the Wireless Code of Conduct. http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/help/returns-and-exchanges-policy/hc1075.aspx Most smartphones have mobile data auto-enabled from the factory. If the customer has a data plan, it's thought that he or she will want to see data working on their phones. Unless you ask the rep to disable data, it will remain enabled. There is a ten-day grace period that allows customers to familiarize themselves with the phone and to gauge how much data they will use. To levy usage penalties upon returning the phone seems somewhat contradictory to the ten-day grace period, IMO. Provided mobile data is turned off, data used over Wi-Fi will not count toward your mobile data usage, if that's what you're asking.