Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Google Pixel software updates

Hi there,

I'd like to pre-order the Google Pixel and I'm wondering if the software updates will be pushed to phones straight from Google or if it will go through Koodo/Telus carrier approval process first.  A Rogers rep is claiming that all updates will be pushed straight from google for Pixels on their network. 

11 replies

png
Deborah Rabisi wrote:

png

one
Deborah Rabisi wrote:

png

Rob Mechkinzie areyou in fight mode or passed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Syraight from google
Thanks Dennis.  Are you a Koodo employee?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Boris wrote:

Thanks Dennis.  Are you a Koodo employee?

No I am not.  Im just a member of the public like you
This was never answered by Koodo? All other carriers seem to say it's from Google but it seems grey. Any Koodo response?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jase wrote:

This was never answered by Koodo? All other carriers seem to say it's from Google but it seems gr...

Doesn't need an answer from Koodo, since Google already answered it:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/4457705?hl=en

There may be a delay in updates for carrier-sold Pixel devices.
Userlevel 4
Jase wrote:

This was never answered by Koodo? All other carriers seem to say it's from Google but it seems gr...

Ivan is correct, Koodo/TELUS will test/certify software before it is released to their customers. I suspect other carriers do the same.
Jase wrote:

See that's what I was getting at. So Koodo/Telus does touch them before they come out. This is what I read on other carriers sites. And there is an overarching phrase that allows the carrier to not provide that update should they have a reason. Therefore updates do not come directly from Google. This would mean the carrier doesn't touch it.
Jase wrote:

Wich is bullcrap since Google is saying it will be updated right away. I have been waiting a month. For 7.2. and Google told me I have to wait for Kodoo. I never hate to wait with IOs