Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Getting repairs with LG. Old phone doesn't take micro sim. Loaner phone or free sim?

My G5 fell out of my purse and the screen cracked (yes with a case and screen protector on it). So I'm sending it into LG to get it fixed since Koodo doesn't cover that (at least that's what I was told) and I don't have insurance anyway. The only other workable phone I have is a Nexus 4 which doesn't take a micro sim. I was told I could buy a standard sized sim card and have it switched over. But when I get my G5 back I'll need to go through that process again... I'm already paying almost $250 to have it fixed including the shipping and insurance in case the post office messes up and loses it. Getting sim cards switched back and forth seems time consuming and like unnecessary spending. Is there any way I can get a free sim (since I'll only be using it temporarily) or a loaner phone? I know they give loaners if you are getting the repair through Koodo but since this is through LG I'm not sure. Do loaner phones cost anything either? I've never had one so I don't know. Thank you.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do an internet search for 'Sim Card Adapter', or have a look at your local electronics sales store for the same, and you can switch back & forth as often as you wish!

Or you can get a fresh SIM for your old phone, then switch back to your current SIM when your phone is returned.

David wrote:

Do an internet search for 'Sim Card Adapter', or have a look at your local electronics sales stor...

The sim card adapter is a great idea. Thanks. 
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

Do an internet search for 'Sim Card Adapter', or have a look at your local electronics sales stor...

Don't buy a cheap one however! The flimsy plastic ones can break and cause even more havoc
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

You can switch back and forth between Sims for free via self serve. As long as it's the same account and phone number the Sims are good for 90 days after being deactivated. All you'd have to do is log into self serve once every so often and switch your service back and forth. It's under change headset in self serve. A second sim will run you 10$ Not available for prepaid at the moment.
Userlevel 2
David wrote:

Just out of curiosity (as a fellow G5 owner), which phone case/ protector were you using? Thx,
David wrote:

Obliq Skyline Advance. It's supposed to be 'military grade' protection. Issue I've found is that it's extremely slippery even with the grips on the side (which I guess is what happens when you buy online and can't see what it feels like beforehand). I've dropped it a few times before and there's been no damage. But that wasn't direct screen to ground contact :s The rest of the phone, other than the screen, is perfect.

I definitely need a new case. Everyone is like "Get an Otterbox!" but I'm just not really a fan. So the search continues. 
Userlevel 2
David wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with the search. 🙂 fwiw......I'm using the commuter OtterBox. (Was only $25 on sale @ Amazon.ca)
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

I have a commuter too. Was on liquidation at the source. 26$ I like it for my iPhone 6s Plus
David wrote:

Have you had it for long? I've heard some people say they start wearing out after the first year or so. Guess it also depends on how rough you are on your phone. I'm not planning on using mine to play hacky sack (phone sack?) with. 
Userlevel 2
David wrote:

Just bought mine on BF, so its still curing! It fits great...thats for sure. I know Walmart has them on their shelves if you want to check them out before purchasing. There are 3 different models of the otterbox. Do a youtube search if you're unfamiliar. Let us know what you decide and how the repair goes. :-))
Badge +4
A deposit of $150 is required for the loaner provided the location has loaner phones to lend. Best to call or visit the nearest Koodo location and ask. Loaner phones are offered when the repair is done through Koodo. The loaner would have to be requested at the same time your G5 is brought in for repair. The deposit is refunded as long as the loaner phone is returned in the same condition it was received.
rikkster wrote:

A deposit of $150 is required for the loaner provided the location has loaner phones to lend. Bes...

Thanks. 
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

A deposit of $150 is required for the loaner provided the location has loaner phones to lend. Bes...

You're welcome. As for cases, I've gone with Urban Armour, (UAG), Spigen Rugged Armour and Otterbox Defender, Symmetry and Commuter series cases. Otterbox series cases are my favourite and are designed so that the touchscreen is recessed. This prevents screen damage should the phone experience a fall flat on its' screen.

You could probably play hacky sack with your G5 wrapped in a Defender series case, but if you want to keep the sleek lines of your G5, go with a Commuter or Symmetry series case. If any damage occurs to the case, their warranty program is the best in the biz, in my opinion.

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/g5-2