Koodo Community
Solved

Getting close to the border and being charged for roaming.

• 9 February 2016
  • 6 replies

When i go to niagara falls ontario my phone tells me "welcome to the USA". I haven't crossed the border but my phone thinks I have. Kodoo should have an option pop up that tells you that you are connecting to an american cell tower and ask if you would like to connect to it instead of just connecting to the tower automatically. I never use my phone in Niagara falls because I am afraid of being charged for roaming when I haven't left the country.
icon

Best answer by Chad Burr 9 February 2016, 17:10

Your phones has a setting Change NETWORK SELECTION to Manual The device will perform a scan which could take up to 2 minutes. You'll be presented with a list of available networks. Choose Koodo or Telus from this list.Note: Doing this disables international roaming. Should you ever want to roam in the future you'll need to change this setting back to automatic
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your phones has a setting Change NETWORK SELECTION to Manual The device will perform a scan which could take up to 2 minutes. You'll be presented with a list of available networks. Choose Koodo or Telus from this list.Note: Doing this disables international roaming. Should you ever want to roam in the future you'll need to change this setting back to automatic
i don't know what to do for sure about roaming charges because i am camping on the St Lawrence near Morrisburgh On.
I received an email saying i was being charged for roaming
I went to the chat and got no help
So i came here and got the info from 3 years ago
I did that on my phone but i don't know for sure if i did it right
How do i let Koodo know that i am not in the USA but am close to the border?
Who do i call ?
I don't want to get charged more money just because i am close to the border
Help
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
i don't know what to do for sure about roaming charges because i am camping on the St Lawrence near Morrisburgh On.
I received an email saying i was being charged for roaming
I went to the chat and got no help
So i came here and got the info from 3 years ago
I did that on my phone but i don't know for sure if i did it right
How do i let Koodo know that i am not in the USA but am close to the border?
Who do i call ?
I don't want to get charged more money just because i am close to the border
Help

The phone was likely picking the best signals in your area. When you were in that area, US cellular signal might be better and caused the issue.

You could try to set the Cellular selection to Manual and set to Koodo (instead of automatic). What phone are you using?

If you were charged by this, you could set up a callback through their digital assistant www.koodo.com/chat or send message to their facebook https://www.facebook.com/Koodo A rep should be able to fix it for you.
Thank you for your help
I followed all of your instructions and did the facebook thing too. I think the major issue is that we are camping on the Canadian side of the St Lawrence and the towers on the American side are just stronger. Hopefully I have done all I can for now I will await my bill to see if all went according to plan and I wont get charged roaming fees
I really am dud with the tech stuff. I would sure like to be able to talk with a real person like we used to.
Userlevel 4
@HELEN Indeed, the US towers are stronger and it's the reason the phones pick up their network close to the border. If you're unsure whether you followed the right steps, you can share your phone model with us, and we'll be glad to guide you on how to manually select the Koodo network on your phone.

You can also check out this link:

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/article-categories/phone-troubleshooting

for illustrated tutorials on how to better get to know your phone. The Koodo Assist is also smart enough to guide you on how to do this or direct you to the link above for additional troubleshooting.
Thank you
I will say despite being a luddite that I did follow all of the suggestions. I think it may be working but I have had a few dropped calls and some interference with the signal.
However we will be leaving the St Lawrence area tomorrow Sso once we return to the heartland of Ontario all should be back to normal
H