Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Getting $5.00 Charge for Data/Do Not Use Nor Want Data

My service plan with Koodo is "Anytime Canadian Minutes: Unlimited/Canadian Data: 250 KB". I keep getting messages on my Moto E (2nd gen.) phone "You have 1 new notification and 1 poke on Facebook". Also get a message on the screen when I first turn the phone on "Google can't be reached at the moment". I never knowingly use data--nor do I want to--but was charged $5.00 for data on my last 2 bills, in spite of the fact that I have contacted Koodo by phone and both times was assured that it wouldn't happen again--also that they had put a lock on my data usage. Went into google settings on my phone to try to solve the problem myself and got a message "Unknown issue with Google Play Services". PLEASE HELP!!!!!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Diane,

Did you add the 2$ per month data block on your account? If so, whenever you want to use data you will need to be connected to your wireless network. Are you connected to your wireless network?
Wi-Fi is always set to Off on my phone, so it shouldn't even be possible to access data. Also, Juan at Koodo assured me that he had blocked data and didn't mention anything about a $2/mo. charge to do so. (location is Ontario, Canada). Don't need nor want data on my phone as we have home computers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Diane Beitz wrote:

Wi-Fi is always set to Off on my phone, so it shouldn't even be possible to access data. Also, Ju...

Are you / have you been close to the US border? Check your PDF bill online, as there have been a number of posts to this community about 1X data leakage onto phones from the US, even though data roaming is turned off.

The 'Unknown Issue with Google Play' occurs because you are not connected to data. The phone gives that notice. You should also be able to remove the Facebook App from your phone to prevent it trying to call the mother ship.
Diane Beitz wrote:

Wi-Fi is always set to Off on my phone, so it shouldn't even be possible to access data. Also, Ju...

Not now--nor have I been--close to the US border since having this phone.

Took the phone into the Koodo outlet where it was purchased to have them remove the Facebook App back in December. Obviously, whatever she did didn't work. Any suggestions on how to remove it myself would be greatly appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Diane Beitz wrote:

Diane, 
Log into self serve. Click on "View Rate Plan" then look at your monthly add-ons, do you see a data block on it?

As for the Facebook app, go in settings, under applications you will see a list of all your applications. Then you will be able to tap on the app you want to remove and then tap "Uninstall"
Diane Beitz wrote:

Monthly add-ons only show 'Pay-Per-Use Intl Long Distance'--nothing there showing a data block. Once again--the Koodo customer phone rep was blowing smoke you know where! Plus the $5.00 charge which he said had been removed, is still there!! Very frustrating to say the least!

As for Facebook, the only Apps I see (and that show as being downloaded) are Android System WebView - 55.48 MB; Google App - 81.18 MB; Google Play Movies - 22.92 MB; Google Play Services - 130 MB; Google Play Store - 27.03 MB and lastly, Motorola Boot Services - 3.36 MB. None of the above show as "Running".
Userlevel 7
Diane Beitz wrote:

Diane, for the 5$ charge that was reversed, they can't modify the bill once it's published. Typically you will see it on your next bill as a credit, under something similar to "Bill adjustment". 
For the data block, if you don't see it there you will need to call Koodo customer support and they will be able to add the data block on your account at a cost of 2$ per month. 

For Facebook, you may need to scroll up/down, to get to it. If it isn't in the list at all, it means the rep removed the app for you as he said he did 🙂