Koodo Community

Community

Get the HSPA+ model of the S4 instead of the LTE model

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I don't know if it's at all possible for Koodo to choose which of the 2 Galaxy S4 models they carry but if it is I think Koodo getting the HSPA+ model would be HUGE! The Galaxy S4 HSPA+ model will have the very first 8 core processor (Exynos Octa 5) powering it & Koodo could use that to their advantage to draw customers in. Market it as the FIRST CARRIER IN CANADIAN TO OFFER A PHONE POWERED BY AN 8 CORE PROCESSOR!!!! All of us who really know about cell phones know that LTE isn't something to be too excited about because it cuts device usage times almost in half (Yes its true I've done tests). A new technology is being created right now that will reduce this massive battery drain & will be applied to company towers once this technology is complete. I'm not sure how far we are away from seeing this technology applied but for most buying a high end smartphone they will be buying a new one next year or the year after at latest anyways. I don't know about everybody else but I'd rather be able to use my device for twice as long then to get a Web page a second or so faster, wouldn't you? I have the Galaxy Note 2 HSPA+ model and it's plenty fast & others on here with it have said the exact same. . Anyways who would rather (if possible) see Koodo get the Galaxy S4 with the first 8 core processor (Exynos Octa 5) powering it instead of the LTE model with the quad core processor (Snapdragon 600)?

48 replies

+1
Userlevel 1
99% of users wouldn't truly see a difference between those two processors. Its like saying my Lambo has 20 more hp than your Porsche. In the end, I'd pick the model that gives me the most battery power.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
samsvoc wrote:

99% of users wouldn't truly see a difference between those two processors. Its like saying my Lam...

That would be the HSPA+ (Octa 5 8core) model. that's what I'm saying. It doesn't have LTE which is a huge battery hog plus the big little technology which is supposed to save more power
Userlevel 1
samsvoc wrote:

99% of users wouldn't truly see a difference between those two processors. Its like saying my Lam...

I'm not a big fan of LTE either. Once the battery issue get resolved, I may change my mind. As for the S4, I looking to ditch my Moto if the reviews come out positive for the Sammy. Can't beat a 5" screen. Any bigger would be pushing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
samsvoc wrote:

That octa-core processor is a gimmick. A good dual-core processor is just fine. I'm always more concerned about RAM and the GPU.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
samsvoc wrote:

You obviously haven't used a quad core device if you think a dual core is good enough. I've had a dual core in the original Galaxy Note and things lagged here and there, I got the Galaxy Note 2 with the quad core and was blown away, there is absolutely no lag what so ever. John Burke Mobile master here completely agrees also and he was very impressed with the Nexus 4 going from the Galaxy Nexus. GPU Makes a huge difference in games but everything else relies on the power of the processor. It all depends on what make of processor also, because I had a tablet with dual core Tegra processors and it sucked. The graphics were much better but the usual processes lagged even more than the dual core processor in my original Galaxy Note. 5" is perfect for the average sized guy and everyone will absolutely love having a display of that size I guarantee, it makes using your phone a dream. I love the 5.5" display on my Note 2 but won't be getting the Note 3 if they make the phone any wider, the Note 2 is the perfect size for guys with big hands.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
samsvoc wrote:

I'm not talking about first-gen dual-core crapfests such as the LG Optimus 2X. My dual-core Huawei Ascend P1 and GNex were destroyed by my Nexus 4 in benchmarking, yet the user experience remained pretty much on par. At 188 cm tall, I'm larger than your average guy, and I prefer a smaller phone. 5" may be perfect for you, but I can't stand it.
Userlevel 1
samsvoc wrote:

I was at a dim sum restaurant in Toronto's chinatown and a chinese yound lady that must of measured 5' at most had a Galaxy Note 2 xD. On another matter, I totally agree with Kid. Battery life > Internet speed... 8 cores on a phone, could they develop some kind of program that could emulate Windows so we could use programs from a pc to a phone (I know, I am a dreamer). Because honestly, as a gamer, all phone games are crap compared to pc games... (except games like song pop, but then again, my 200 mmx collecting dust could run that np) 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not gonna happen. Telus is investing in their LTE network. They won't choose a non-LTE model. Remember how many people complained that the Nexus 4 wasn't LTE? I don't care about LTE myself, but this is how things are.
Badge +4
An eight core processor? Overkill. Enough of Samsung, get the HTC One X+, I don't see a single HTC device in the Koodo phone lineup. http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-x-plus/
Userlevel 1
rikkster wrote:

An eight core processor? Overkill. Enough of Samsung, get the HTC One X+, I don't see a single H...

We also need to see a Sony mobile on Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

An eight core processor? Overkill. Enough of Samsung, get the HTC One X+, I don't see a single H...

It's not an 8-core, it's a gimmick. The processor is 2 4-core processors - a performance one that is used for demanding apps and a lower-power one for extending battery life when performance isn't necessary. I'm not saying that it isn't better than a traditional 4-core, but it's not 8-core.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I said that it uses big little tech like you just explained, I know it's a dual quad core, this will save alot of battery on top of it being an HSPA+ device and not LTE. Everyone wants to save power and doesn't care about LTE but your just bashing the idea, I'm confused.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Not bashing the idea at all, I just don't like it being called an octa-core processor when it's not. Even calling it "dual quad-core" is misleading as it means the same as octa-core = all cores available if demanded. That just isn't true. I wouldn't say that everyone doesn't care about LTE. From what I've seen, a good proportion of smartphone users seem to want it (just look at all who bashed the N4 for the omission). I've said many times that I don't care about LTE. But a lot of people seem to and it is the future of Telus and therefore Koodo as well. This is why I can say with 99.9% certainty that you will not see Koodo bring us the international version. As an aside, users can disable LTE on their phone (I do on both my iPhone 5 and Z10). Is the international version's battery life significantly improved over the LTE version's (with LTE disabled)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

According to Samsung that is the whole point of the Octa core small big technology is to drastically save batter power. The same way Tegra's 4+1 technology which uses 4 cores for power use & one for low level processing. it should save power and keep proformance as high as needed given what it's processing. I can't really say till I get a chance to test one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I know what Samsung says, but battery endurance is almost never what the manufacturer claims (like fuel economy on cars). So, I'm also waiting for real world tests. In my opinion, the whole point of the "octa-core" is to mislead the average user into thinking they're getting more cores than a quad-core which isn't true.
rikkster wrote:

But they are. 8 cores are available for use. Why would you think that 8 cores aren't available for use?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

No, only 4 are available at a time: performance quad or power-saving quad.
rikkster wrote:

I have a 6core CPU. You're telling me only 3 are available at a time? I don't think so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

I wasn't talking about your computer's CPU. I was talking about this specific mobile SoC.
LTE is great if you live in an area that can handle it, but that doesn't mean that HSPA+ is slow or not good enough. For the same price I would still for the LTE though despite the faster drainage of battery life.
I totally agree, with my Nexus 4 I get an average of 9mbps on HSPA+ which gives me a good internet speed and you can't really see the difference with LTE and I really really don't care at all about the LTE since it has so many disadvantages for nothing good (why the hell do you need 50mbps with a ridiculous data limit between 100mb and 6gb ?). That's the main reason I didn't buy the S3 because of the inferior "American" model to get a new technology that I don't even want at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
SkAshe wrote:

I totally agree, with my Nexus 4 I get an average of 9mbps on HSPA+ which gives me a good interne...

You can always turn off LTE on LTE-enabled phones.
SkAshe wrote:

I totally agree, with my Nexus 4 I get an average of 9mbps on HSPA+ which gives me a good interne...

Yep but you still get an inferior version.
Userlevel 1
I agree with you Kid that the non-LTE model is definitely a superior model, BUT, it is not LTE which is quite the marketing sensation right now. I still do not understand why we keep getting inferior models vs the international model. Lazyness on the behalf of Samsung ? I do not know.