Koodo Community

Galaxy S9 Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE

• 4 September 2018
  • 82 replies

Userlevel 1
So today there was an update for the S9 which allowed Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE on Telus and Koodo firmware. I was unable to activate Wi-Fi Calling and was instructed to call Koodo support; note VoLTE didn't work either (but was enabled in the phone). When I spoke to Koodo support, they stated that the S9 is still unsupported for these features. Is this accurate or is the rep wrong? Nearly 6 months after the launch of this flagship device and it's still unsupported on Koodo? I keep getting calls from my previous carrier to come back and I'm starting to consider it since Koodo takes an awfully long time to add support for what I feel are basic features for a flagship phone.

82 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo is probably the slowest of all he carriers to be implementing volte and vowifi support. That's just the reality of it. If you need those features to use your phone properly then pick the carrier that provides that the best.
Userlevel 1
Ya seems like it, my mistake was switching to them during the holiday promo when they were all offering it, I should have picked one of the better carriers since it was all the same offer. Luckily my previous carrier is offering a similar plan to come back to them, I guess I'll take it and move back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Whatever you feel is best for you. I hope that it works out for the best.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Eluder:
Was your S9 from Koodo? Was your plan has the "Access to VoLTE" add-on? Normally it was added automatically when you activated Vowifi.

Koodo has been rolling out new devices for VoWifi recently. Samsung A8 is working fine with VoWifi. S9 and S9 plus were on the list. https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/upcoming-software-updates

Userlevel 1
@Eluder:
Was your S9 from Koodo? Was your plan has the "Access to VoLTE" add-on? Normally...
I don't see Access to VoLTE add-on on my plan, I figured it's a provisioning issue, which is why I called Koodo support, but they told me it's not supported on the S9. I have access to an iPhone X and SE to see if using my SIM there will automatically add the service to my account and then SIM swap back to the S9.
My phone is an unlocked Canadian S9 using the Koodo firmware/CSC; does Koodo whitelist only their own devices (IMEIs)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Eluder:
Was your S9 from Koodo? Was your plan has the "Access to VoLTE" add-on? Normally...
I am new to VoWifi with Koodo also. However, with Fido and Rogers, only Android devices procured from them were able to access wifi-calling (iPhone are not restricted). Koodo didn't mentioned about it in their terms https://www.koodomobile.com/help/wifi-calling

So, I would suggest you try to update latest update firmware, security update from Koodo/Telus if possible. If it could be the IMEI whitelist issue, you might have to call them and ask them to add yours to the list. (maybe after 1,2 weeks, for things to settle first with the new addition S9).

If you have a iPhone (6 or newer), you could try to pop your SIM in, update carrier settings. Then you enable Vo-wifi.. The VoLTE access add-on should be added to your account.
Userlevel 1
@Eluder:
Ya, I already have the update, but am unable to activate the features. Going to try an iPhone shortly to see if the feature activates on the device or not and check my account.
Badge +4
The Samsung Galaxy S9 is supposed to get it today. https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/upcoming-software-updates
Userlevel 1
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. The second rep also mentioned that the phone wan't supported, but thanks to Mats link, I was able to convince her to dig further. She confirmed it's now supported and mentioned grey market isn't supported, but she added the VoLTE Access feature to my account and now both VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling are working on my S9. Thanks for the useful info guys, it made my day and now I will happily stick with Koodo since they provide the features I've been waiting 6 months for!
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...Thanks for the update. I emailed Koodo about this just now and hope they will do the same to me. I also have an unlocked GS9. 

Do you know if switching the "sales codes"/CSCs wipes the phone?
Userlevel 1
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...It does wipe the phone; I switched to the Koodo CSC when I switched providers and did a backup/restore after the CSC switch. If you've only ever used a Koodo SIM in the phone, it could already be on the Koodo CSC, just check the Service provider SW ver in Software Information, if it lists KDO/KDO/XAC, you're good to go.
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...It's on the virgin mobile csc because that's the carrier I was using before koodo. I'd change it and go through the reset but I HATE backing up and restoring the phone because of all the lost app data.
Userlevel 1
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...To me that's never been a big deal, I've gotten the process down to be up and running within about 30-45mins after a factory reset. It's worth it to get the full feature set of my phone, IMHO.
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...I have the exact same problem as Eluder had. I bought my Samsung Galaxy S9 from Koodo. I called Koodo, but I have a one hour wait to talk with someone. I bought my S9 from Koodo and shouldn't have to go through this nonsense.
Badge +4
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...You can also message them on Facebook or Twitter telling them to enable that feature on your S9.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...Or you can wait until the provisioning catches up with this update announcement
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...How long will it take for provisioning to catch up? I tried Twitter, but no response so far.
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...56 minutes on hold so far to talk with Koodo. The recording keeps saying they're a little busier than usual. No response so far on Twitter. This is my first time contacting Koodo. Is this just normal for Koodo?
Badge +4
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...Unfortunately, yes. Are you not receiving a call back option when you tried to call? You can request one through the digital assistant.

https://www.koodomobile.com/help/?INTCMP=KMNew_NavBar_SearchIcon
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...I had a call back option when I started, but that was 1 hour and 3 minutes ago. I don't want to lose my spot in line.
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...Oh, I tried that Digital Assistant first, but it had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I had to give up.
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...I'm talking with a human! 🙂 But he put me on hold to figure out what is going on. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just wanted to provide an update and state that the issue was an account provisioning problem. Th...Like I said.  I would wait.  This is so much more work and you still got no where
Userlevel 2
That was a waste of 1 hour and 39 minutes! Koodo CSR and his support team said I cannot get Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE because my two-month-old LTE SIM card is not compatible. They're asking me if I can go without Wi-Fi Calling. LTE SIM card for Wi-Fi Calling is mandatory. They all say I should go without it if I don't really need it. Is Koodo for real? Is my two-month-old SIM card already too old?
That was a waste of 1 hour and 39 minutes! Koodo CSR and his support team said I cannot get Wi...I call fake news. It's not the first time I've heard of Koodo reps making up far fetched stories to explain why certain things aren't possible. I mean the wifi calling help page mentions LTE Sim... But all Sims are LTE Afaik. I mean, you are able to surf the web on LTE, are you?