Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Galaxy S2x AWS Compatible?

Would like to know if your Galaxy S2x supports AWS 1700/2100?

23 replies

Badge +4
If you're referring to LTE, the S2x is not an LTE, Band 4 (AWS) compatible phone.
No. I'm referring to AWS frequency of 1700/2100 MHz. Same as WIND uses. If the S2x is the same as the Telus S2x then is should support it. I'd like to try Koodo out... but if I decide to go elsewhere down the road I'd like my phone to work on any network.
Badge +4
4Jax wrote:

No. I'm referring to AWS frequency of 1700/2100 MHz. Same as WIND uses. If the S2x is the sa...

Interesting... When I enter *#*#2263#*#* or Service Mode on the S2x I get a list of GSM and WCDMA frequencies - options 7 and 9 are indeed AWS frequencies 1700/2100 MHz. The actual Network Mode is restricted to GSM/HSPA, GSM only or HSPA only modes.
4Jax wrote:

No. I'm referring to AWS frequency of 1700/2100 MHz. Same as WIND uses. If the S2x is the sa...

Yes, Advanced Wireless Services is basically the 1700/2100 MHz frequency. You are correct, the S2x is no longer available from Telus. But when it was released they advertised the phone has having AWS 1700/2100. Since Telus and Koodo are kin to each other I assume the specs are shared? I'll find out fore sure when I call Koodo tomorrow. Also the Telus S2x is still available as a prepaid from Walmart for $299.99. Unlock if you wish and use wherever. Thanks for the replies rikkster. Cheers :O)
Badge +4
4Jax wrote:

You're welcome. I'd be interested in hearing your findings regarding the S2x and AWS compatibility. Edit: When I enter *#*#2263#*#* or Service Mode on the S2x I get a list of GSM and WCDMA frequencies - options 7 and 9 are indeed AWS frequencies 1700/2100 MHz. However, the actual Network Mode is restricted to GSM/HSPA, GSM only or HSPA only modes.
Interesting the frequencies are there. From what I've gathered from Google-ing ... once the phone is unlocked and a WIND SIM is inserted there might be a need to configure the APN settings to use those frequencies? Some people are reporting no problem using their Koodo S2x on WIND. I'll find out tomorrow what Koodo says and I'll post the answer. Sometimes though, the 'official' answer doesn't mean it's not possible. But they should at least give me a clear answer if the phone does have AWS. Keep you posted...
Userlevel 7
Yes, the S2X that Telus/Koodo sell is compatible on WIND's network (assuming you unlock it and whatnot)
Well here is the 'Official' word: What Samsung rep said regarding the S2x prepaid with Telus... "Telus does not support AWS". Well thanks, I knew that. I asked if the S2x supported AWS? Question dodged. What Koodo rep said: I asked if the Koodo S2x supported AWS frequency of 1700/2100? The rep said: "what do you mean by 'frequency' ?". Uggg. Seriously? I knew I was in trouble! 15 minutes later and talking to one rep and then one tech rep... I got no answer. My eyes started to twitch and I told the rep I had to hang up the phone now. Unofficially: People are reporting the S2x unlocked DOES work on WIND. (Ahmad also reported the same. Thanks Ahmad for the reply.) I spoke to a Mobile Rep who said they have signed up people on WIND using an unlocked S2x. With the S4 rumored to be coming soon I hope that translates into a sweet deal on an S2x soon.
Userlevel 7
For what It's worth my s2x works on koodo, at&t, and TMobile. however in order for it to work with Tmobile properly I had to root it and change the kernel.
Thanks Chad. T-Mobile and WIND have compatible systems so I'm told by WIND. I hope I don't have to root and change the kernel to get it to work on WIND?
Userlevel 7
4Jax wrote:

Thanks Chad. T-Mobile and WIND have compatible systems so I'm told by WIND. I hope I don't ...

The telus radio isn't optimised for non telus frequencies and the stock rom just did not like tmobile. Cyanogenmod and a Tmobile radio (baseband) flash fixed tge issue. 14mbps down after that.
Badge +4
4Jax wrote:

Thanks Chad. T-Mobile and WIND have compatible systems so I'm told by WIND. I hope I don't ...

Might try flashing the T-Mobile radio at some point, leaving everything else intact running the LiquidSmooth ROM and see how that works.
You guys are all way ahead of me on the curve. When the time comes I've got some homework to do. Google to research list: 1. Cyanogenmod? (I think it's a custom ROM?) 2. Changing the Kernel? (assume that's making it a T-Mobile Radio) 3. T-mobile Baseband & TGE issue?? 4. Liquid Smooth Rom? I might need some Tylenol :O)
Userlevel 7
4Jax wrote:

You guys are all way ahead of me on the curve. When the time comes I've got some homework to d...

1 &4 : cyanogenmod andliquid smooth are both custom roms each will install a custom kernel 2.actually the basebabd Is the radio. heres a link to the radios I use. http://db.tt/fjgxxVzo
Userlevel 7
4Jax wrote:

You guys are all way ahead of me on the curve. When the time comes I've got some homework to d...

you'll also notice a file there called darkside cache wipe. you'll want to flash that before flashing a new radio.
Userlevel 7
4Jax wrote:

Update: I needed space in my drop box so I inadvertently deleted those files. Forgot I had them linked here. Sorry.
Userlevel 1
Hey, some cell phone shops that provide unlocking and repair services provide the service to have your phone work on either networks if you are not too comfortable in rooting your phone and changing the kernel.
have a Koodo Galaxy s2x, it' works on wind mobiles network, (had to be unlocked first of course) sometimes the internet is slow and laggy, and sometimes the net doesn't work at all, texting and calling works fine, picture messaging not working, Costumer support is making me want to kick a baby
Badge +4
Paul Michael wrote:

have a Koodo Galaxy s2x, it' works on wind mobiles network, (had to be unlocked first of cours...

Maybe it's time to switch back to Koodo...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul Michael wrote:

have a Koodo Galaxy s2x, it' works on wind mobiles network, (had to be unlocked first of cours...

Maybe if a promo plan comes along.
Userlevel 7
Paul Michael wrote:

Paul, did you already switch and are having problems? What's the model # of your S2x? It needs to be T989
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul Michael wrote:

Is it that it gets slow and laggy when your past your unlimited amount and they begin throttling your data speed possibly
Yes it's a T 989D, No where's near the 5gig cap for when it starts to throttle I liked koodo but pay as you go sucked for North America calling.... And data was too expensive P.s, no probs with net lately, just shit costumer service and picture messaging doesn't work