Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Galaxy Alpha...If I buy a samsung galaxy alpha with another company, since Koodo does not sell it yet. Will it work with Koodo? Thanks

Im currently with Koodo and have a Samsung Galaxy S4...I want to get the new Galaxy Alpha but Koodo does not currently carry or sell it. My cell is broke, so I need a new cell sooner then later. I dont want an Iphone or other phone. Im stuck on the Galaxy Alpha. Will it work if I buy it else where and bring it to Koodo?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Chris, If you bring the Samsung Galaxy Alpha to Koodo it has to be unlocked and it also has to support HSPA 850/1900 in order to work on Koodo. Hope that helps answer your question 🙂
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Hi Chris, If you bring the Samsung Galaxy Alpha to Koodo it has to be unlocked and it also has ...

I appreciate the answer but I have no idea what that means lol. Maybe you could explain a little easier for me. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Hi Chris, If you bring the Samsung Galaxy Alpha to Koodo it has to be unlocked and it also has ...

That's okay, all it means is that in order for the phone to work on Koodo it has to support those frequencies that Koodo uses. If the phone doesn't support them then the phone won't work. I checked the specifications of the phone and it looks like it should work (granted the phone is unlocked). Information is here: http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_alpha-6573.php
Daniel Gunn wrote:

How do I go about unlocking it? or buying one unlocked? I have tried looking online but it hasnt really told me much.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Hi Chris, If you bought the phone with a different provider you can get it unlocked online at cellunlocker.net or GSM liberty for a fairly cheap price. If you were buying it unlocked you can always check out eBay, Kijiji, or even Negri Electronics, Amazon is good too. Hope that helps 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Maybe an Alpha from Telus will work too!
Robert wrote:

They dont sell them either..yet anyways. It would be nice to even have a date is Koodo will carry it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

You're best guess would be to follow their Facebook page. There will be where they will be making all the announcements for new phones and such. Or they do make him on the community as well
Userlevel 7
Chris, you need to investigate the exact model you'll be purchasing irregardless of what phone it is, it needa to carry service on at least the 850/1900 mhz hsdpa (3g) bands. Don't be confused with the 2g bands which may have the same number but aren't the same.

You shoukd ask the supplier for the exact model number. Check on GSM Arena for the specs on your exact model.

For instance....

Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Chris, you need to investigate the exact model you'll be purchasing irregardless of what phone i...

What phone are you using Chad? One M8?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Chris, you need to investigate the exact model you'll be purchasing irregardless of what phone i...

I picked up the Alcatel Idol x+ You?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Still rocking the Nexus 4 🙂 is that phone you have any good you find?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Yeah, im enjoying it much.
I am looking at the same phone and hoping it will work with Kodoo. It looks like the model I want to buy will support the 3G frequencies, but what LTE frequencies does Kodoo use? The model I will likely buy supports LTE 700/2100/1800/2600/850/900/1900
Userlevel 7
Those are fine. You'll be good.
Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Those are fine. You'll be good.

Missing the 1700mhz band in LTE however.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
AT&T model should work well with Koodo. US suppliers (Amazon & eBay) don't know anything much about Canadian carriers. I've used Koodo-sourced Samsung phone on AT&T and it worked flawlessly. Phone must be unlocked.