Koodo Community

Community

Friends text messaes are being blocked by Samsung S3

I replaced my broken S3 with another used one and since then, 2 of my friends can't text me. They get a "failed" message when they text me. I can text them, and I am receiving texts from my other contacts. I checked to see if my phone was set to block messages are it isn't.

32 replies

Userlevel 6
Hey Brad, Have you tried removing your SIM card and power cycling your phone? If this still don't work, I recommend backing up your photos and important data. Then, do a factory data reset.
Userlevel 6
Erwin wrote:

Hey Brad, Have you tried removing your SIM card and power cycling your phone? If this still do...

Before doing a factory reset, in phone settings you could manually set the SMSC to +16475800172 on the Koodo network. Reference this thread.
In phone dialer, dial *#*#4636#*#* (*#*#INFO#*#*) and modify SMSC settings manually.
Erwin wrote:

Hey Brad, Have you tried removing your SIM card and power cycling your phone? If this still do...

Thanks. Just checked... that is the SMSC number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What phone does your two friends have?
Robert wrote:

What phone does your two friends have?

One is an iphone. Not sure about the other. Thanks.
Userlevel 4
When you replaced your phone did you reset it or just put SIM card. Go to text settings and look for restrictions. Otherwise do what Erwin recommended.
Jan Hope wrote:

When you replaced your phone did you reset it or just put SIM card. Go to text settings and look ...

Thanks. Just put SIM card in. Checked in text settings and didn't see any restrictions. Going to try Erwin's suggestion next.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can those same two friends call you?
Allan wrote:

Yes they can. And I can send them texts, but they can't text back to me.
Userlevel 7
Allan wrote:

If the message is failing on their end and other people can text you, the problem is likely with their phone and their carrier. Ask them to restarttheir devices. Or have them use a different texting app like gosmspro or Chomp to rule out that possibility. If it works with a different app then the issue isn't the carrier it's their phones.
Allan wrote:

Why would that be? They are using the same phones as before when they texted me on my old phone. Same app. My phone has changed and they can't text me now. Seems like the problem would be with my phone. None of them have told me they have this problem with anyone else. I'm the one hearing from several people that when they text me, they get an error. Seems to me the common point of trouble is my phone.
Userlevel 7
Allan wrote:

You can try my suggestion to rule out a possibility and then we can move on.
Allan wrote:

Thanks, Chad. I'll give it a try. Hope my reply didn't come across as disrespectful. Wasn't intended that way.
Allan wrote:

Chad, finally was able to get my friend to try texting me using GoSMSPro. Same problem. I can message him but he can't message me. So now where do we go from here?
Userlevel 7
Allan wrote:

You have him talk to his carrier. The issue is on his end. Not yours.
Allan wrote:

Chad, can you get a little more technical with me? How did you come to that conclusion?
Userlevel 7
Allan wrote:

Because he's trying an alternative text method and that's not working either. He's the one getting a failure message. Not you.

I know you're convinced the issue is with your phone. The next thing to rule that out would be to try your sim in a different phone and ask your friend to text you again,

If he still cannot, then you change your Sim for a new one.

If he still cannot, the problem is most certainly on his end because at that point you've ruled out so the possibilites on your end.
Allan wrote:

Thanks for that explanation Chad. We're going to swap sims tomorrow and I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks again.
Allan wrote:

Chad... you're right. It must be an issue with Bell/Virgin, his carrier. We swapped SIMS and results reversed. Using my phone and his Virgin SIM, I couldn't message my phone number. And Kirk successfully texted me using his phone and my Koodo SIM card. So I'll contact Bell and hopefully they have a solution. Otherwise, we'll just talk on the phone like the good old days. Thanks for your solid help, in spite of my persistent doubts. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Otherwise, we'll just talk on the phone like the good old days. 

But you won't be attached to the wall!

Userlevel 7
Allan wrote:

That's great news. Get your friend to come to Koodo and fill out a referral.
Allan wrote:

Great idea. I'll bend his arm a little.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

There $50 for each of you on a referral Blaine. 🙂 The double promo is on till August 8th. 

https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/public/home.pg?lang=en

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
AFAIK, the sent/failed message is simply a confirmation that the text message has been successfully handed off to the network by the sender's phone. It should have nothing to do with whether your phone is able to receive the message. Text messages blocked by the intended recipient typically just disappear into the ether.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

AFAIK, the sent/failed message is simply a confirmation that the text message has been successful...

So you are saying the network randomly loses the texts?