Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Family plan or Child Add on for smart watch

My husband and I have plans with Koodo, but we use our cells as our primary home number. My daughter is getting older but we have no intentions of getting her a phone, we don't feel it's necessary, and I've been looking into the Jumpy Smart watch, which allows us to call her watch, and her to use the watch to place calls to us. She doesn't need a full on plan, the watch will only allow her to make calls to her dad and I, but I wasn't sure if there was an option for less than $25 a month, when she may never actually use the calling feature.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Jamie,

I took a quick look at the Jumpy smart watch, I get the impression that you will need to have a phone with you to utilize most of it's features, just like any other smart watch on the market. You might consider getting her a small flip phone that is pay as you go. Telus and Rogers offers yearly plans of around 100$ and have some minutes and some texts, you might want to take a look at those. 
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I took a quick look at the Jumpy smart watch, I get the impression that you will need ...

Thanks Mathieu. The first gen release of the Jumpy watch does need a phone to enable the calling features, but the new Jumpy Plus, has an integrated calling capability, so a separate phone isn't needed. My kids are only 10 and 6, so I am really hesitant to get them phones, when something like the Jumpy is extremely secured and regulated, and there's no capability of fooling around, which I know my daughter will do as soon as she gets her hands on a phone. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I took a quick look at the Jumpy smart watch, I get the impression that you will need ...

There's multiple android apps that giv you full monitoring and control over phones as well. But I guess if you wa strict control and the inability to do anything else t Jumpy should do fine. The 100 dollar a year plans ar definitely the way to go. If you want to go with Koodo then just go prepaid for 15 15 month and get the odd talk booster add-on although it'll definitely be more expensive than the 100 a year ones. There's a 120 dollar promo with Rogers atm that includes 6pm unlimited local evenings and weekends.
Mathieu wrote:

Hi Jamie,

I'll check those out. Thanks. Unfortunately, we have to be on a Telus tower, since we live in the boonies and get no reception for any other providers.