Koodo Community

Community

Solved

False Advertising of Unlimited Picture Messaging

Why does Koodo advertise that "all Canada-wide plans include unlimited text and picture messaging", but if you have a smart phone, you can't actually send or receive and picture message without ALSO using data? I begrudgingly switched over to an android from a slide qwerty phone, not wanting to ever use data, with the same SIM and Canada Wide Talk and Text plan. I can no longer use picture messaging, even though it's still "included" in my plan. Really disappointed, I can't afford to pay more for a service that used to be included in my plan.

37 replies

Userlevel 1
This is the same for all carriers, but it is sort of an elephant in the room that is a continuous problem. There may be a way around this for you depending on your Android as I recall, see this helpful post, take the time to go through it to see what people have said about it: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/change_apn_to_disable_internet_while_enabling_mms_on_samsung_ace_2
Userlevel 2
The only thing that Unlimited Messaging does, is remove the overage cost for sending picture messages. It has no bearing on the service actually working. It's very common knowledge that on the HSPA network, MMS requires an active data connection. If you want to put the blame on anyone, put it on the ones that created the HSPA network. It is actually stated that MMS requires an active data connection if you look under the nitty gritty section.
Userlevel 1
Myke wrote:

The only thing that Unlimited Messaging does, is remove the overage cost for sending picture mess...

It's not "common knowledge". It's only common knowledge for people that have an interest in cell phones and the technology to some degree or have dealt with the problem first hand and learned the hard way (or learned through somebody they know). Most people don't even know what the heck an HSPA network is. To the average talk and text phone user that just cares about communicating and expects it simply to work, this limitation wouldn't even cross their minds, nor would I expect it to.
Userlevel 7
Myke wrote:

The only thing that Unlimited Messaging does, is remove the overage cost for sending picture mess...

Well now the OP knows how it works and how it's almost unavoidable (see below). There is no false advertising; picture messaging is included and you are not charged for sending OR receiving picture messages.
Userlevel 1
Myke wrote:

I'm not suggesting it's false advertising, but the idea that people should implicitly understand this fact is quite silly. Most people don't until they go through this experience. I think employees that sell plans could do a better job of explaining certain things, this is obviously one of the big ones. The good ones do, many just can't be bothered.
Userlevel 1
Myke wrote:

This is correct. MMS requires data. This is true for all carriers. At least it was when I was with another carrier less than 8 months ago. Usually koodo provides 2gb data with the Canada wide plan so sending pictures should not cost you unless you send a lot. And if you have wifi it probably won't cost you at all because data is simply Internet access and wifi is Internet access.
Userlevel 4
Myke wrote:

That is NOT correct. MMS needs the mobile data to be on for picture messages to work. There are NO CHARGES for any picture messages in Koodo's plans that have unlimited messaging as a feature no matter how many are sent or received. They will NOT work through wifi UNLESS mobile data is on as well.
Userlevel 3
Myke wrote:

virtual star zaphod! Well worded
Myke wrote:

I just randomly found this. I brought this to their attention via the CCTS. They claim I was the first and other ever tell them. Your post is years old. I doubt they didn't know before my call
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

What did you bring to their attention exactly? Data used for MMS is not billed. MMS is unlimited.
Userlevel 7
Using your Picture Messaging without allowing access to Mobile Data by anything else. Can you send regular text messages but not picture messages? SIM CARD BASED phones require a data connection in order to send those messages. So if you have data turned off, or blocked, these messages won't go through. "But wait" you say "My plan includes unlimited text and picture messaging. I want to use it but I don't want data because I feel it's too expensive (or whatever)". The Mobile Masters have your solution below. You can enable data by navigating Settings / Wireless and networking / Mobile Network Make sure 'use packet data' or 'enable data' is checked. If you have data blocked by Koodo you'll need to unblock it. You'll have to call customer service to have the block removed. Follow the methods below to ensure data is only available to picture messaging. Setting up A Koodo phone for MMS with no additional Data Access FOR ANDROID DEVICES -=- First We need to do a little housekeeping. Navigate to your current messaging app and delete any picuture message you previously tried to send but have failed. Next: Navigate to Settings / Wireless controls / Mobile networks / access point names METHOD 1. Find the Koodo.sp Apn and tap it to open it. Some phones will allow you to edit this APN, for those phones which will not allow you to edit the default APN (I.E the Samsung Galaxy S2x), please skip to Method 2. Tap APN type and change it so it reads only "mms" then tap the menu key and select save APN once saved the 4g indicator should disappear. Please see: Note 1 METHOD 2 You'll be creating two APN's Add the first apn (usually by hitting the menu key and tapping ADD NEW) Note: in the example below please omit the spaces between the http: and the address This is done because some websites shorten URL's Input the following settings (leaving designated fields blank): APN NAME: Koodo (NoData) APN: spp.koodo.com Proxy server: Port: Username: Password: Server: MMSC: Proxy server: Port: MCC : MNC : APN type : default For APN Type we use "default" for this example but if it doesn't work for you, go back and change it to "Internet" Save this entry (usually by hitting the menu key and selecting SAVE) Now create a Second APN using the following settings APN Name: Koodo MMS ALLOW APN: sp.koodo.com Proxy server: 74.49.0.18 Port: 80 Username: Password: Server: MMSC: http: //aliasredirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc Proxy server: 74.49.0.18 Port: 80 MCC : 302 MNC : 220 APN type :mms Now save this entry as you did the first. On the list of available Access Point Names you'll notice three (or more) entries. Select the Koodo (NoDATA) APN and make it active (you'll notice you can not choose the Koodo MMS ALLOW entry) Exit the APN menu. Reboot the phone (Shut it off and turn it back on) Turn off your WiFi Open your browser and attempt to access any webpage other than Google (google is normally cached). You should get a message that the page cannot be displayed. Note 1: (For Everyone to read) You'll notice the 3G or 4G data indicator has disappeared leaving only the Signal strength indicator. IF YOU HAD PREVIOUSLY TRIED AND FAILED TO SEND PICTURES IT MAY TAKE A FEW MINUTES FOR THE INDICATOR TO DISAPPEAR. When you do send a picture the Data indicator will re-appear and the picture should be sent. The Same thing will happen when you get a picture message.
Ahmad wrote:

Using your Picture Messaging without allowing access to Mobile Data by anything else. Can you ...

THIS WORKS SO FAR HOPEFULLY I WON'T GET CHARGED! WILL THIS MESS ANYTHING UP?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Using your Picture Messaging without allowing access to Mobile Data by anything else. Can you ...

I DON'T THINK SO, ANDREW 😉 YOU CAN TRY IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Andrew, you can look up your data usage on Koodo's site to see if there's any chargeable amount there!
Ahmad wrote:

IT WORKS. AMAZING. THANKS. So happy.
Ahmad wrote:

this worked but there were a couple days during the month i would still get charged, minimal ammounts like 0.09 mb here and there. I don't get it, why is this happening^?? 😞
Ahmad wrote:

It is not 100% guaranteed to work. Unless you are connected to wifi while you are connected to mobile data, there will always be a risk of mobile data usage being done from other applications.
Ahmad wrote:

Unfortunately, it did not work on my LG G3...
Could not edit the apn setting that was default, so had to use method 2 - 
I added the new apn but it would not show a button unless I labelled it default. When labelled mms it was greyed out.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

That's how it should be. The first apn type will omit Mms and that means the 2nd a on will be used for Mms. It shouldn't be selectable
Ahmad wrote:

But the original default (which of course includes mms) is still there and cannot be deleted. So I end up with 3 APNs - 1. the original default for all, 2. the new apn (without the mms) and 3. the mms apn.

Won't the first apn (the original default) which always remains selected, still be the primary active one?
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

You need to select the first apn that you made. If the Koodo apn defaults back to being selected, then your phone is one of those phones where this will not work. As long as the Koodo apn isn't select, it shouldn't work/ be active.
Ahmad wrote:

I'll try it right now. Thanks so much for the advice!
Ahmad wrote:

...and of course, do we keep the "Allow Mobile Data" setting on all the time?
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

Yes, but you should only see a connection when you send or receive a mms If it works
Ahmad wrote:

Seems to be working fine so far - thanks so much for your help and advice.