Koodo Community

Community

Solved

"Failed to download MMS" and "Check your APN settings" on Nexus 5 with Android 6.

I'm using a Nexus 5 and updated to Android 6 about a month ago. I keep getting a message "Failed to download MMS". Sometimes I get one that says "Check your APN settings". I have checked my settings and they are fine. What has changed? Everything worked fine before I updated to 6. Many similar posts say to turn on data, but I've never had to do that before.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Is your data toggle turned to the on position?
No, I have always kept my data off.
Userlevel 6
The reason why MMS is not working for you is because data is disabled from your device settings and an active data connection is needed to send and receive MMS'. We will not deduct data or charge you for data used to send/receive picture messages; however if another application uses data at the same time that it's opened (such as Facebook, your email..) it may result in charges if you don't have a data plan.  We do offer a $2/month data block which blocks all data usage with the exception of picture messages which can be added through self-serve.  You can also turn on the data and choose the option to "restrict background data" for all of your apps ; however it could still result in data charges if you accidently open the app.  Hope this clarifies things!  

Thanks Melissa. Is this new then? I didn't have to turn on data before I updated my phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Terri wrote:

Thanks Melissa. Is this new then? I didn't have to turn on data before I updated my phone.

Data has ALWAYS been required to send or receive mms messages, whether with Koodo or any other carrier.