Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Europe - Incoming calls

I will be in Europe for 3 months and want to receive calls. No data and no outgoing calls. Is there an add on for this?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There are two international add-ons but only the 40 dollar one has data and minutes included. 50mb and 50minutes as well as 50 sms. Its...not good. I'd get a local prepaid Sim for calls and data. You can download Fongo or Textnow to get a Canadian number for free (VoIP) that just needs data to work. Then people in Canada can just call you without issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only international add on with calling is: $40/30 days 50min, 50MB, 50 Outgoing Texts, Free incoming texts If you dont plan on talking on the phone very long i would suggest paying the pay per use fees ($1.50 or $2.50/min depending on where in Europe you are). If you have internet you can use a voip service. If you plan on talking for a longer time and dont have internet access than i would suggest unlocking your phone (if it isnt already) and getting a european prepaid sim.
Thanks. I would like to keep the Koodo number and don't need data. $120 for an occasional call is a bit steep. Is it possible just to have pay for use with Koodo? If so, how do I activate?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hutt Mail wrote:

Thanks. I would like to keep the Koodo number and don't need data. $120 for an occasional call is...

The pay per use rates are $1.50/min for most of Europe and $2.50/min for a small part. All you have to do is add the following free add ons to your plan. Pay-Per-Use International Long Distance International Voice Roaming
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hutt Mail wrote:

Thanks. I would like to keep the Koodo number and don't need data. $120 for an occasional call is...

International voice roaming will Have to be activated in self-serve and there's the international roaming rates you can find here: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling You can still get something local in case you want to use your cell phone for any real amount as well. Not sure which country or countries you'll be going to but it'll cost much less very quickly.
Hutt Mail wrote:

Thanks. Very difficult to find how to activate international voice roaming pay-per-use in self-service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hutt Mail wrote:

What you can do instead is going with a VoIP like Fongo that gives you a free Canadian number and works over WiFi. Get a local SIM with data in Europe for your European needs. You can then set up call forwarding from your Koodo number to the Fongo number. I believe that this is your cheapest option to have people reach you on your number in Europe.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hutt Mail wrote:

Alternatively, port your Koodo number over to CallCentric. Forward those calls to your local Euro number via regular cell service or use Voiper to connect your cell over wifi. Should cost you about $10 a month, and no Koodo bills in the meantime, only your local phone plan in Europe. Re-connect with Koodo when you come back.

Advantage: you can make free long distance calls over wifi using your old Koodo number and also have a local cell number for use in Europe: casual callers will not call a Canadian number from Europe or a European number from Canada just to say hello. No Koodo bills in the meantime for something you are really not using. No roaming on your Canadian calls.

Downside is that you will have to clear your tab and porting will close your account. You will have to re-estabish Koodo service on your return.

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

www.Callcentric.com

You can also Google [i]international call forwarding service
Userlevel 6
Hutt Mail wrote:

Agreed with BobTheElectrician. Or if you will have access to wifi or data in Europe (if data then using a local or roaming sim card), then voip.ms or fongo may be viable options.