Koodo Community
Question

Essential phone restarting on its own

• 8 September 2019
  • 7 replies

My Essential PH-1 phone will shut down at any time and take awhile to restart. I make sure that I don't have more than one app on at a time, so that isn't it. Could it be the last update? How would I find that out and how do I fix it?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I have the Essential phone ph1 and it doesn't restart mine actually taps things by its self until you tap the power to turn the display off and back on then it's fine for a little then does it again but that's another story sorry got side tracked lol. Have you installed a new app or perhaps you have an app that isn't playing right with the new update but it's not the installed apps it must be one you have downloaded that is affecting it. See if you have an app running when it happens more than others or a new app you installed perhaps and try deleting that app or making sure your apps are all updated.
Thank you Paul! I have uninstalled the most recent apps I've downloaded to no avail.
I'm wondering if it is from the latest update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you Paul! I have uninstalled the most recent apps I've downloaded to no avail.
I'm wondering if it is from the latest update?

What I would do and it will take a little time and you'll want to be on WiFi but reset your phone and just use the installed apps for a little and if it doesn't happen start to install the most needed apps and see how it goes and so on and so on. You'll want to be on WiFi to download all you apps and games over again one by one. This can take some time but it will almost always give you the answers you seek.
First though try to delete the system cache for the device this should have been given before the above solution.
Will do! Thanks again!
Would that be Essential Services cache? The System storage won't open, it says it is running version 9.
Badge +4
Booting into Safe Mode is another option. In Safe Mode, your Essential PH-1 starts with only the apps and software that came with it. If you don't experience any issues in safe mode, there's a good chance that the problem may be related to a third party software installation. Instructions on how enter into and exit out of safe mode are here.

As a last resort, a factory reset will clear residual file fragments left behind from a previous OS installation which could interfere with the operation of the current OS. Make sure to backup the contents of your PH-1 before proceeding with a factory reset.
I have the Essential phone ph1 and it doesn't restart mine actually taps things by its self until you tap the power to turn the display off and back on then it's fine for a little then does it again but that's another story sorry got side tracked lol. Have you installed a new app or perhaps you have an app that isn't playing right with the new update but it's not the installed apps it must be one you have downloaded that is affecting it. See if you have an app running when it happens more than others or a new app you installed perhaps and try deleting that app or making sure your apps are all updated.

Mine does the same thing, but only when plugged in a wall charger (when plug in an external battery pack it behaves fine...) i suspect it's because part of my screen is damaged (upper-right corner) is this the case with you also?