Koodo Community

Essential Phone and manually selecting a network

Badge +4
  • Mobile Master
  • 2608 replies
I am trying to manually select a network with an Essential phone. I have always been able to take it off automatic and manually select Koodo. Ever since the phone was updated to Android P this has not been possible. .
When in network settings I turn the automatic slider off. It then searches for a network. A list of networks show up. I select Koodo. The phone "flashes" and goes back to the mobile network screen. I then have to click the drop down arrow beside advanced. The slider is still on for automatically selecting a network. I have reset network connections and tried this about 20 times. It will not let me manually select a network. I don't want to try and factory reset it if possible.

I have emailed Essential support and they gave me 2 replies that were strange.

1st reply
code:
 The way to do this is to go to your Phone app. and dial *#*#4636#*#* > click Phone Info -> Set preferred network type -> Tap the arrow down to the right and choose GSM only from the pop up list (or CDMA if you are using CDMA).  

This just made the phone not work.

2nd reply
code:
Thank you  for your patience, I have heard back from our engineers.

The ability to manually select network in the settings menu changed in "PIE", so this is not an option anymore.
The Network is determined by your carrier.

We were able to reproduce this on a Pixel device to confirm.

Hope this helps, take care!

I don't know if he means that every phone that has Android P can't manually select a network(I don't believe that because why would Android do that) or if just the Essential phone can't. Although he does mention a Pixel can't either.

Can anyone with an Essential phone try and manually select a network and tell me if it works.
Or any phone with Android P on it for that matter.

Any ideas or steps to fix it please share.

Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I can manually select a network on my Pixel 2 XL.

Badge +4
Philosoraptor wrote:

I can manually select a network on my Pixel 2 XL.

Just to confirm, your Pixel 2 has been updated to Android P?

I can get the phone to manually search for a network and Koodo does come up(like your 2nd pic). After selecting Koodo the phone "flashes" and goes back to mobile network settings with it still set to automatically select a network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yeah, I'm on P. Once I select Koodo (second image), it takes me to the screen shown in the first image.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Philosoraptor wrote:

Yeah, I'm on P. Once I select Koodo (second image), it takes me to the screen shown in the first image.

Yep me as well on Essential 🏃 running Pie 🥧
Badge +4
Yes the same thing happens for me expect slider for "Automatically select network" stays on.

Thanks
Badge +4
Paul Deschamps wrote:

Philosoraptor wrote:

Yep me as well on Essential 🏃 running Pie 🥧

So Essential support was full of it.

Thanks for confirming.