Koodo Community
Solved

EMUI 10 for huawei p20 pro CLT-L04

Show first post

47 replies

Userlevel 1

Still no idea what’s going on, sorry. Not sure there’ll be much of an update besides it ‘ll come when it does.

That's the problem "if it comes" lol. Hard not to be a pessimist after this ridiculously long ride.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Still no idea what’s going on, sorry. Not sure there’ll be much of an update besides it ‘ll come when it does.

That's the problem "if it comes" lol. Hard not to be a pessimist after this ridiculously long ride.

This is always the risk with android.  Nothing new.  To prevent this, you might be better off with Apple or buying direct from the manufacturer

Userlevel 1

This is always the risk with android.  Nothing new.  To prevent this, you might be better off with Apple or buying direct from the manufacturer

Oh fully understand the risks having toyed w/Android for a good 10+ years. The problem is, it's inexcusable taking 9ish months to complete a single letter upgrade for a phone series, it's not done yet so that timeline could easily be extended. Pretty positive this is precedent setting by far.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh fully understand the risks having toyed w/Android for a good 10+ years. The problem is, it's inexcusable taking 9ish months to complete a single letter upgrade for a phone series, it's not done yet so that timeline could easily be extended. Pretty positive this is precedent setting by far.

I wouldnt say this is precedent setting at all.  COnsidering there have been phones way back that just gave up on the upgrade to the next OS completely.

Userlevel 1

I wouldnt say this is precedent setting at all.  COnsidering there have been phones way back that just gave up on the upgrade to the next OS completely.

Apparently you haven’t been following along, since 2019, as there’s a massive difference here compared to your example. It’s been a convoluted mess that’s seen umpteen delays (I stopped counting at 9), is nearing the ninth month since first stable release of EMUI 10 began rolling out, and the P20 Series are only a couple out of many models/series that are encountering (or have encountered) similar. If you go to Huawei’s EMUI 10 Update Schedule page you’ll see several countries STILL showing a status of “Pushing in batches” for many various devices models including the P20 Series, going back as far as January to boot!!!! So yeah not in the same league by any stretch of the imagination in my opinion.

Userlevel 4

I don't even need EMUI10. But we all need security updates. Nothing since January 1.

I'm still paying Koodo every month for the P20 Pro, so mine is less than what's old. And no security updates for 7 months.

Bad. 

OK, Huawei is in a crisis because some people with influence don't trust Huawei's security. I don't understand why they don't try to get their own customers on board by showing that they care about security. 

I don't even need EMUI10. But we all need security updates. Nothing since January 1.

I'm still paying Koodo every month for the P20 Pro, so mine is less than what's old. And no security updates for 7 months.

Bad. 

OK, Huawei is in a crisis because some people with influence don't trust Huawei's security. I don't understand why they don't try to get their own customers on board by showing that they care about security. 

This sums up my bad user support experience with Huawei: good devices, but almost no regular bug-fix and security updates.

And I don’t know where the real hang-up is.

Is it simply that Huawei just does not have the development capacity (people, expertise) to provide these updates, as compared to their new device development operation?

Has Google ceased providing Android and Google Mobile Services (GMS) security and bug-fixes for Huawei devices released prior to last year’s  exclusion of Huawei’s newer devices from the Google GMS ecosystem?

If *all* Huawei devices are now excluded from the official Google Android security updates, does Huawei have the capability to integrate the bug-fixes and security updates provided (with delays) for the open-source versions of Android?

Or is Telus/Koodo the real culprit here, selling devices which most people will keep for the two years they need to pay off their balance but not hiring enough people to actually validate and maintain manufacturer-provided updates and bug-fixes over that period (date of sale + two years)?

Userlevel 4

Google has not cut Huawei off from security updates for phones already sold. Any limits for support are for new models. 

O.K., that's what I had read, Huawei still has access to official Android and GMS update for those devices. So do you think the development  hang-up is on the Huawei or on the Telus/Koodo side of the fence?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

O.K., that's what I had read, Huawei still has access to official Android and GMS update for those devices. So do you think the development  hang-up is on the Huawei or on the Telus/Koodo side of the fence?

It's usually the carriers that hold back the update process (which is why I prefer devices without carrier-branding such as the Pixel line). 

Userlevel 1

Bad. 

This sums up my bad user support experience with Huawei: good devices, but almost no regular bug-fix and security updates.

And I don’t know where the real hang-up is.

Is it simply that Huawei just does not have the development capacity (people, expertise) to provide these updates, as compared to their new device development operation?

Has Google ceased providing Android and Google Mobile Services (GMS) security and bug-fixes for Huawei devices released prior to last year’s  exclusion of Huawei’s newer devices from the Google GMS ecosystem?

If *all* Huawei devices are now excluded from the official Google Android security updates, does Huawei have the capability to integrate the bug-fixes and security updates provided (with delays) for the open-source versions of Android?

Or is Telus/Koodo the real culprit here, selling devices which most people will keep for the two years they need to pay off their balance but not hiring enough people to actually validate and maintain manufacturer-provided updates and bug-fixes over that period (date of sale + two years)?

Yup carrier’s can definitely be one of the bottlenecks alright but in this case, I am 100% certain (after much following along and research) the “majority” of it lies on Huawei’s shoulders… Even when supposedly in carrier’s hands. Thing is, from my gatherings the P20 Series was poorly supported globally simple as that. And I’ve seen too many unlocked variants (various regions) enduring the cold shoulder treatment too in regards to the EMUI 10 update, so hasn’t just been a carrier thing.

Userlevel 1

Bad. 

Some regions mean nothing to Huawei with us being one of them. Plus, Huawei is now focusing on their own ecosystem that doesn't include the "old".

So yeah, if you want security patches stay far far away from Huawei... It's been said device's w/o Google Services wouldn't have early access to security patches so I fully anticipate theses devices will encounter delays in receiving sooner or later.

And if you want "timely" system updates again Huawei ain't it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just saw one Koodo P20 receiving the update… I guess the party has started… finally.

Userlevel 1

OMG!!!!!! FINALLY!!! Update on my P20 PRO

EDIT:

Update complete:
KOODO HD VoLTE Support

Build 10.0.0.172 (July 2020 Security Patches)

Userlevel 1

Just check my P20 Pro again today (Telus) and yup it's there w/July's security patch , nothing on my P20 though.

Userlevel 1

I just saw one Koodo P20 receiving the update… I guess the party has started… finally.

Got it on my P20 Pro too but nothing on my P20 yet. As for "party", that's looooong over lol.

Userlevel 1

Just check my P20 Pro again today (Telus) and yup it's there w/July's security patch , nothing on my P20 though.

The build included April Security Patches but the update included Julys.

There something called Smart Charging too in more battery settings

Userlevel 1

EDIT:

Update complete:
KOODO HD VoLTE Support

Build 10.0.0.172 (April 2020 Security Patches)

Seriously April's security patch as mine is July's? 

Userlevel 1

Seriously April's security patch as mine is July's? 

No my mistake, Build 172 included April Security Patches so i assumed, I didnt realize there was another area that displayed the security patch version, which is the same July.

Hi,
Just to let you guys know that the update to Android 10 happened some day last week.
Sorry for the late update on my status.
Cheers!

Userlevel 1

Version .180 has been released… its time to whine and complain why koodo is taking so long to release it :P
haha

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-updates-the-Mate-10-Mate-10-Pro-P20-and-P20-Pro-with-system-improvements.495729.0.html

Userlevel 1

Version .180 has been released… its time to whine and complain why koodo is taking so long to release it :P
haha

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Huawei-updates-the-Mate-10-Mate-10-Pro-P20-and-P20-Pro-with-system-improvements.495729.0.html

Heard that earlier today myself too - if it comes great otherwise couldn’t give a dam as I’ve given up on Huawei as an OEM, definitely won’t be keeping tabs on this update like I did w/10 - Haven’t given up on the hardware end though in terms of my P20 & Pro as both are working tickety-boo on EMUI 10 (10.0.0.172).

Dunno what the deal is with Koodo/Telus and their update schedule pages. They both appear to have gone south in terms of keeping these pages current as Sept 8 is as far as it goes. Rogers and Fido show to end of month (Sept 30).