Koodo Community

Community

Solved

email wont send while I am conntected to wifi

My email receives perfectly on koodo or wifi connections but wont send until I turn my wifi off which is very weird to me. Any suggestions? I have a Samsung Galaxy Lte

7 replies

Userlevel 7
The only reason I would see it not working is if because your Wifi actually has limited/no connectivity at the moment but looks like its working. Can you access webpages via your browser while on wifi?
everything else works great including browsing and downloading while on wifi including receiving emails which is the weird part to me...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ISP's typically restrict outbound email traffic through third party servers to combat spam. Koodo's network blocks almost all outbound email traffic that does not go through smtp.telus.net. It is likely that your isp is blocking outgoing traffic through smtp.telus.net. The only way around this would be to either constantly switch outbound servers or install an email app that will allow you to specify multiple outbound servers (these apps try every server in the list until one works). If your email provider supports it, imap and exchange emails seem to be immune to this issue.
ahh ok, should I contact my email provider first and see what they recommend or is it safe to do the work around?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Contact your email provider. Since different isp's can block different outbound servers it's easiest just to configure your email as imap or exchange if they support it.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Contact your email provider. Since different isp's can block different outbound servers it's eas...

perfect thanks so much for your help 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Contact your email provider. Since different isp's can block different outbound servers it's eas...

Who is your email provider and who is your internet (Wi-Fi) provider? We may be able to help.