Koodo Community

Community

Dual Sim Galaxy S8

I'm looking at upgrading my phone and I was looking at the S7 Edge and now the S8 or S8+ all three phones are supposed to have the hybrid sim tray meaning they can take 2 sim cards or 1 sim and 1 SD card.

What I want to know is
1) Does Koodo allow use of a second sim or is the feature blocked.
2) Are both sim cards locked to Koodo? (not an issue if you know what the CRTC rulings are)

I tried calling in and asking but they guy didn't understand the question and told me Koodo doesn't have any dual sim phones. Way to not know what your selling Koodo, real impressed. 😞

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Andrew, the guy you spoke to was correct and Koodo does not sell any dual SIM phones so the Galaxy phones have a SIM Card and SD card slot nothing more and no option to make it dual SIM.
Samsung has instructions on using the hybrid dual SIM tray on the 8/8+ http://www.samsung.com/sa_en/support/skp/htg/20886
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
1. If the phone allows it, Koodo wouldnt know if you are using 2 sims in one phone, as long as both sims are active.  Koodo would treat it as 2 lines with different phone numbers.
2. The phone is locked to the carrier who's sim is installed into the phone first.  To use your phone with a different carrier than what it is locked to, you must unlock the phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You might try looking at the Canada or USA site for regional information about phones sold in this market, rather than the Samsung site for Saudi Arabia.  

To my knowledge, phones sold in North America are not dual SIM unless they specifically state they are. Such phones are sold by vendors other than the carrier, such as BLU phones at Staples.

Good catch, didn't see that. Google search fail on my part.

So yeah NA seems to have mostly if not exclusively single sim phones. Not clear if it's only a firmware difference or not though. Really disappointing that carriers seems to be (allegedly) opposed to dual sim phones. I have a personal phone and two for work, I just want to not carry three bloody phones and yes I have one set to call forward but the other uses PTT.

I know I'm not the 'norm' but it's not like I want something that hasn't already been developed. Now I have to either change carriers, buy a phone outright or get a dual sim adapter all because some bean counter is (allegedly) worried that I might not buy outrageously priced roaming data. Just in case said bean counter ever reads this consider this thought, who doesn't have an old still working smartphone in a drawer somewhere?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew Ness wrote:

So yeah NA seems to have mostly if n...

2 work phones seems excessive.

This is why i am a fan of bring your own device companies.  You use your own phone and the company gives you a monthly per diem
Andrew Ness wrote:

I agree, and one of them is 'gasp' a blackberry classic on Rogers. Taken out of the box only to get the sim card then put back in the box. Since I already have a tab credit I'm probably going to get the S8 and a dual SIM adaptor everything gets unlocked in December anyways not that I really plan on going anywhere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew Ness wrote:

I doubt it will be as simple as getting a dual SIM adapter. You may need to get an offshore phone with North American bands. 

Andrew Ness wrote:

This product seems to come from a Swiss company but it's technical specifications state "Supports GSM, GPRS, EDGE, CDMA, UMTS, 3G, LTE, 4G, WCDMA, HSDPA networks". This model would tuck under a phone case, not sure i want to pay 60 bucks + shipping but it's certainly less than buying an unlocked phone outright.

http://www.simore.com/en/dual-sim-adapter-4g-galaxy-s8-samsung-zx-twin.html
Userlevel 6
Andrew Ness wrote:

@Andrew Ness: that's a really cool adapter. I can see why they only stick to flagship phones to justify the demand.