Koodo Community
Question

Dropping calls

In the past few months I moved to a new place in the same town. I have never had a problem with picking up calls before. However since the day I moved to my new place I’ve had nothing but problems. Most of the time my signal strength is 1-2 bars, sometimes 3. But calls keep dropping, I can’t have a conversation for more than 5 mins. I often will have to call back multiple times, weirdly text messages aren’t affected. The signal fluctuates throughout the place, there isn’t one place that has better signal. My sister doesn’t have any problems with her cell when she’s here, mind you she is with a different provider. I need to be able to make calls. Its come to the point where I’m emailing everyone when I need to talk because I can’t trust the network. I have taken out the SIM card and there doesn’t appear to be any damage. I don’t know what the issue is. The other place I was at was just 4 streets over and no problems, I was in the basement too.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How is your signal when you step just outside?

Unfortunately Koodo does not guaranteed a good signal when inside and basements are notoriously poor areas for reception.

I have 2 bars out the back and 3 doors out the front. I don’t have this issue anywhere else in town. I had a similar problem 2 years ago with an older phone, I couldn’t receive calls anymore. I ended up having to get a new phone (the one I have now). This phone is just a 2 years and almost have the tab paid off. I don’t want to buy for another phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have 2 bars out the back and 3 doors out the front. I don’t have this issue anywhere else in town. I had a similar problem 2 years ago with an older phone, I couldn’t receive calls anymore. I ended up having to get a new phone (the one I have now). This phone is just a 2 years and almost have the tab paid off. I don’t want to buy for another phone.

I would test with another phone first before (maybe borrow a friend or family’s cell and put your sim in it to test to see if it is your phone.

Also it may help to see if you have any friends or family with Koodo/Telus to test their reception

I am having same issue on my iphone xr and samsung a70 we are facing same issue for both phones

Userlevel 6

Call dropouts are typically a sign of poor mobile signal or a phone model that is not sensitive enough to operate under low signal conditions.  Text messages are less likely to be affected because of lower data rate and transmission protocol which is designed to re-transmit messages following a comm disruption. Loss of calls could be a result of weak Telus/Koodo local signal (no nearby Telus antenna), a poor sensitivity cell phone model and your physical location (basement, inner room, concrete & metal barriers). Since you have no control on Koodo’s network signal strength in your location (other than buying a mobile signal amplifier) , the easiest solution may be to find a sensitive phone that can perform well with low signals. A google search will help identify sensitive phone models. Recommendation is to try and use a friend’s sensitive model at your location, before buying a new phone. Good luck!

Thank you. Is there any way that koodo can help or do i need to switch to other network? I have the iPhone Xr model And as signalnis weak i am not in a position to change my mobile . As it is essential now a days to attend office calls as we are wfh and all of a sudden call is dropping.

can koodo do some thing abt this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you. Is there any way that koodo can help or do i need to switch to other network? I have the iPhone Xr model And as signalnis weak i am not in a position to change my mobile . As it is essential now a days to attend office calls as we are wfh and all of a sudden call is dropping.

can koodo do some thing abt this?

Was your phones working fine previously in the same place?. If possible, can you share the location of your place? If the signal suddenly went bad last few days, it could be an issue with a local tower. However, if the issue happened since the day you switched to Koodo, then it could be issue with Koodo network in your area.

It was working previously but after switching to koodo only facing problem. Initially i thought it was issue with phone but it seems to be an issue with network only.

I am now residing at St.John’s nl eastend

Userlevel 6

A more sensitive phone MAY be able to work with the weaker Koodo signal in your area.  Do your research, and/or asks friends with new technology cells to check their signal level at your place, and you may be able to find a reasonable cell which will work for you.

Hahah so we will change phone not network .. how funny  it is an issue with network not phone so may be i have to rethink abt network

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It was working previously but after switching to koodo only facing problem. Initially i thought it was issue with phone but it seems to be an issue with network only.

I am now residing at St.John’s nl eastend

Who was your previous carrier? Was it Fido/rogers?

You could try to reset network settings in the phone to make sure your phones receive latest carrier settings from Koodo and see if the signal gets better. If that doesn’t help, you might want to check people around in the same area and see which carrier they had the best signal and switch to that one. If you are in a black spot of Koodo/Telus network, it is hard to fix in 1,2 days...

Userlevel 6

Did you check the Koodo coverage maps before transferring to Koodo? There is no perfect coverage for any network. I am not associated with Koodo. I am a space sysyems engineer and have provided you with my opinion regarding your options. You will have to decide which way to go.

Userlevel 6

St. John’s Koodo network coverage map can be found at https://choosehappy.koodomobile.com/network/

It does not look promising for St. John’s east end. Again, a more sensitive cell may still work in a low signal area.

Badge +4

You may want to look into Wi-Fi calling. The iPhone Xr supports this feature. I’m not sure if the Samsung Galaxy A70 is supported. TELUS says it is. Wi-Fi calling allows you to call and message over Wi-Fi when there’s little or no network coverage.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/wifi-calling-explained

Userlevel 6

Following @rikkster  suggestion, if your device do not support wifi calling or if you don’t wish to buy the add0-on, WhatsApp calling (or similar app) is also a solution which allows you and others to call each other over wifi, as long as you are all users of WhatsApp (free app). WhatsApp calls are not restricted to north america.