Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Dropped My Phone in Water..?


Hello! I've recently bought a prepaid phone from Walmart (an LG Optimus T), where I buy my Koodo prepaid cards. And I've by accident dropped my phone in water. I took out the battery right away after the accident, and whipped the phone and battery with a cloth, and turned it back on shortly afterwards. The phone turned on, and is working fine, but sometimes the buttons on the phone mess up a bit, like I'll press the "back" button, and the media volume will turn down, or I'll press the lock button, and it will stay lit up. Sometimes when I'm watching a video or listening to music, the media volume will go off or turn down on it's own. It doesn't do this all the time, there's just days when it doesn't work properly. I was just wondering if I would have to buy a new phone, or if a new battery would work. Thank you for your time!

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Sounds like the damage is done. You probably put the battery in too quickly. In the future when this happens, you want to get the battery out as quickly as possible, and then put the phone and battery in a bag of rice for 48-72 hours (longer is better). This will help remove any residual moisture.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
The battery will not solve the issue, at this point I will try what Mattjs suggested to see if there is a change on your phone's performance...
Userlevel 2
If its messed up at this point, then a short has already most likely occurred. The trick is to get the battery out and everything into rice before that, then you can potentially save it. Give it a try though, it certainly won't cause any additional damage.
Same with me 😕
Userlevel 6
Once a phone is submerged in the water and is not properly dried. It is best to buy a different phone because your phone may short circuit and can explode. It is no longer safe to use and it can possibly cause harm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Erwin wrote:

Once a phone is submerged in the water and is not properly dried. It is best to buy a different p...

It can really exlpode?
Userlevel 4
Erwin wrote:

Once a phone is submerged in the water and is not properly dried. It is best to buy a different p...

It's a theory. I did some research and it is very unlikely. Just don't put the phone in the microwave to dry it 😛 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpSSslqqqpo There have been reports of cell phones exploding when on a charger too long

Reply