Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does unlocking your phone unlock carrier updates?

I bought my moto g with koodo on a monthly plan, then I eventually bought it out and moved to prepaid. The motorola website says the android 5.0 update is out for my phone, and everywhere I look it says its available (even 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 are out). When I try to update it says I have the latest version, and my only conclusion is that koodo is blocking the update. My system version has the word telus in it, so I think that I'm correct. Now my question: if I unlock my phone with koodo so it can go on any carrier, does it stop my updates going though koodo? Or am I stuck with koodos update schedule?

19 replies

Userlevel 6
The updates come from the manufacturers koodo wouldn't be blocking anything.
Chris Petersens wrote:

This doesn't seem to be the case. According to https://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/102775 its out for the moto g and I should be able to download and install it. It has been reported as out be the manufacturer for quite some time. Thanks for the reply!
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

The link you just posted is from Motorola's Indian website and India has had Lollipop for some time now. Moto's US and Canadian website still list kitkat as the current version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As long as you are a Koodo subscriber, updates will continue on their schedule. You will get your Lollipoop +/- whenever Koodo decides everyone else gets one. Remember: you just bought an unlock code. Koodo has no real way of knowing if it's been used or not. You are still tethered to their network until you pop in a someone else's SIM, do the deed and sign on to the new carrier and force a new access. Then you will become beholden to the new carrier's roll-out. Unless, of course, they are using a slightly different model of phone, in which case you may be left in the dust entirely. Path of upgrades is Google => phone mfgr (for firmware) => carrier (for localized software). 5.0 has been whistled down and called back to the line of scrimmage a few times. Why the big rush anyway? Some US customers already stumbling with t5.02 and 5.02 bugs.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

As long as you are a Koodo subscriber, updates will continue on their schedule. You will get your...

Thanks for the reply, but just for clarification I haven't bought an unlock code yet. I want to stay with koodo, I just want to know if unlocking my device will get me off koodos update schedule so I can update as the manufacturer said I can. I don't want to be on any carriers update schedule, I just want it to be like I bought my phone directly from the manufacturer. Will I have to remove my sim whenever I want to update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

As long as you are a Koodo subscriber, updates will continue on their schedule. You will get your...

Unlock will not do you any good. It may even set you back because you just lost your place in the Koodo line if you sign up with someone else. Roll-out is deliberately staggered because of the heavy toll it takes on the network, and of course, the ensuing complaints that "my phone is using data I didn't sign up for ". You can root the phone and sideload any time you want, SIM probably not required, by WiFi, but that's beyond my sphere of ken or recommendation. Also bye, bye warranty and support until you get the version Koodo releases. Suggest you read all about it before being too eager: http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-5-0-lollipop/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

WOAH WOAH WOAH that's entirely incorrect Bob the phone will always be updated with Koodo's schedule it doesn't matter if you unlock it and use it on a different carrier. Whatever carrier sold the phone originally will always supply the software for said phone. The only way it will not is by changing the software ones self which isn't something the average user will ever do. Where are you getting your info from Bob?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

We at least agree on the rooting/sideload/beat the "normal" system is something not recommended. Sure Koodo will broadcast their update when it's convenient, but are you really telling me that if I am on another carrier in another country, maybe even on another frequency band, I will get it automatically like every other Koodo customer? If so, I stand corrected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Yes that's what I'm saying as the update is tied to the phone or better yet the software running on said phone not to the network the phone is used on which is why one can update over wifi with no network connection what so ever.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Point of clarification: if I have severed all ties with Koodo, am on another network, do I expect to get any updates from Koodo, or are they still busy spewing out updates for my long-gone-elsewhere flip or slider phone? I think we would both expect, however, if I rejoin Koodo, for their system to handshake with my phone, and update me so at least I am compatible with the ins and outs of their system. So what exactly do I tell my new provider when I theoretically get a new update from Koodo under your scenario that boots me out of the new provider's ballpark?
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Koodo is not sending you any updates. Koodo tells your phone's manufacturer that it's OK to send the update. Then, the phone manufacturer looks at your software info, NOT SIM card info, and sends the update if you have Koodo software on it. If you have Bell's software, Bell tells the manufacturer that it's OK, and the manufacturer sends the update for Bell to your phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Exactly Hellothere you get it
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

At least now it's clear --- until the rules change again next software upgrade. Original poster's question about changing carriers or sideload to get update faster remains a dead end I believe, so I don't feel guilt about leading him astray. Don't know anything about Hellothere's procedure below to install Bell software on a Koodo phone, but that's just uncharted territory for me.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Thanks for all the help! I was hoping that there would be some other method that wouldn't involve rooting etc. but I am quite familiar with it, so I can if I need to. I'll wait and see. If it takes to long I might go the extreme route and install stock software over what koodo supplies.
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

The site to obtain stock firmware images for the Moto G is down. Going that route won't work. http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14
No. Unlocking the network lock has nothing to do with software updates. If you had a Koodo Samsung phone, and installed Bell's software on it, you would start getting updates for Bell. The SIM card has nothing to do with it except for Nexus phones, where apparently using some carriers' SIM cards block updates now. In the case of Moto G, I don't know whether you can install another carrier's software or not, but unlocking, or using another carrier's SIM card in it will not change anything regarding software updates.
Badge +4
Unlike the Nexus line, the first generation Moto G does not have factory firmware images that we can readily download and sideload to the device. This is reserved for developer edition devices and the first generation Moto G does not fall into that category. So it's a matter of waiting for the carrier to give the okay to Motorola after the carrier has completed testing the software. Paul and Hello are correct. A wireless provider's subsidy unlock will not affect the distribution of an Android upgrade. On a Samsung device, it is possible to flash firmware for Bell provided you have the exact same device that Koodo has. A good example of this is the Note 4, where one could flash Rogers, Bell or TELUS firmware onto the device. Not exactly practical, but it can be done.
Thanks! Consider this solved. (Is there some way to mark answers?)
Badge +4
Josh Kraan wrote:

Thanks! Consider this solved. (Is there some way to mark answers?)

Done.