Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does the Moto Z Play have the FM radio enabled?

I'm looking to get the Moto Z Play but I'm curious to see if it has an FM radio receiver and if it is enabled.

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi BM, the answer to your question is no, the FM chip on the Moto Z Play is not enabled. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Radio chips on any North American phone are usually disabled. Maybe Google would rather sell more data and music services with their partners, or having to use the headphone jack as an antenna cable doesn't fly with consumers here.

Userlevel 6
Sadly, FM radio is not supported on that phone. I'm upgrading from the Moto X Play to the Moto Z Play (due to the amazing price of the phone on Koodo). I sim-unlocked my Moto Z Play for $3 on eBay, haven't started using it yet (I ordered some accessories on eBay for the phone).
As an alternative to FM radio, I got a USB FM radio from eBay for $2! Will use my massive battery in the Z Play even more slowly by playing radio off a separate device...
Thanks all for the info. That USB FM radio sounds like a good compromise. Thanks.
When I was looking for a new cell phone, the specs for the Moto Z said there was FM radio, which was one of the deciding factors. The play store won't allow me to download the FM app. Seems to be misleading information for buyers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rose Christenson wrote:

When I was looking for a new cell phone, the specs for the Moto Z said there was FM radio, which ...

Is that information drawn from the Koodo site?  FM is often included in phones sold in other parts of the world, especially Asia, but seems not to be included in North American variants.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rose Christenson wrote:

When I was looking for a new cell phone, the specs for the Moto Z said there was FM radio, which ...

The fm radio transmitter is still in the phone but most likely will be disabled by koodo. My G5 has the transmitter in the phone but is disbaled by Koodo. Annoyingly most canadian providers disable this.
Userlevel 4
Rose Christenson wrote:

Hi Allan, carriers do not disable FM chips. The decision is made by the phone manufacturers. Although I don't have the list right now, some phones that Koodo offer have the FM chip enabled. If we were to purposely disable that, we would have done it for all phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rose Christenson wrote:

I just contacted LG and they said that they do not disable the chips, the carriers do...could i get some clarity as I am being told two different things here.
Userlevel 6
Rose Christenson wrote:

Hey Allan, I just replied to you through Facebook.  As mentioned, the decision to enable/disable FM radio would be with the device manufacturer and is controlled at the chip level. A number of devices we offer support the FM radio app such as such as HTC M8, M9, Moto E, Moto G, BlackBerry devices 10.2 and greater.  As levis mentioned, we would enable the feature for all phone if we were the ones controlling it. Hoping that this answer can clarify for others reading this.   Thanks! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rose Christenson wrote:

Yes, thank you for your response. Ill have to go back at LG and see if theyll give me a clear answer now. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rose Christenson wrote:

Check out the tail end of this thread:

https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/does-the-lg-g5-have-a-fm-radio-tuner-enabled-chip

Userlevel 6
A lot of phones may have the required hardware to support FM radio, but don't enable it in the firmware. Some phones are said to have FM radio enabled by installing a ROM (for instance CyanogenMod) or even modifying the build.prop.
There's been a brief discussion@CRTC for pressuring carriers to have FM radio available on all subsidy phones, carrier replied saying that it depends on manufacturer.
It's true that carriers including Koodo offer subsidy phones (primarily budget to mid-range phones) with FM radio support.
If you want FM radio on a higher end phone, you may have to wait until you can sideload a ROM that'll support it, and even then, not guaranteed to work on all handsets.
Back to OP, yes, it's a big disappointment for us who grabbed a Moto Z Play from Koodo, especially coming from a 2015 Moto X Play (which has FM radio support). Only suggestion I have is to order a separate FM radio device and listen to FM radio off the separate device. Your phone battery will last longer this way.