Koodo Community

Community

Solved

does the koodo s4 get lte on the kodo network?

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes, certainly Kurtis, provided that you have a suitable phone, and are in an LTE area 🙂 Prepaid does not get LTE, you need to be on a plan 🙂
Userlevel 1
Sophia wrote:

Yes, certainly Kurtis, provided that you have a suitable phone, and are in an LTE area 🙂 Prepai...

Sorry Sophia, how did you find out that Prepaid customers annot get LTE where available, personally I know a friend that has a compatible LTE phone with prepaid service and I always see LTE symbol on his phone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Yes, certainly Kurtis, provided that you have a suitable phone, and are in an LTE area 🙂 Prepai...

I got the information from this page, Mat: http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/coverage-maps But if it works unofficially I'd be very happy 😃
Userlevel 1
Sophia wrote:

Cool, I'm not reporting him to Koodo! lol...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Does he actually get LTE speeds, Mat, or just the symbol?
Userlevel 1
Sophia wrote:

Well, to be honest with you, I just saw the LTE symbol which made me think that .. yes he is getting the LTE speed with his Data booster, and when he receives call it switches to 3G vice versa, so he is using LTE service indeed, I guess, i'll ask him and will post his answer later when I meet him. thx for your concern!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Thanks 🙂 He might not be willing to test it out, with that speed he'd go through the whole booster at once 😃
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

So Koodo blocks LTE to prepaid customers? Or potentially throttles it? If I was on prepaid I'd find this pretty tough....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

I'm not getting amazing LTE speeds on LTE anyways, with 3G often being on par (and sometimes faster). Someone told me that Koodo doesn't get the same "priority" on the Bell/Telus network. And indeed, the Bell SIM offered much greater LTE speeds in the same spot (he was trying to sell me a Bell subscription at Costco, I only accepted to satisfy my curiosity). He was pleased with himself and thought he may have a sale. Then I asked him about the price. Pretty brutal, and less inclusive. He went on about the speed. Then I asked him what exactly he can do with that extra speed on his phone. We both started navigating to the same pages (identical hardware - iPhone 5). No difference. Said good day and walked off. To me, LTE is just a marketing gimmick that sucks up battery. Until LTE is offered as a home service with 200+ GB/month at a price comparable to cable, I'm really not interested.
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

I don't find it to be a marketing gimmick in the slightest. On HSPA+ my download speeds are around 12mb/s and my upload is 1.5mb/s. On LTE I'm consistently at 55mb/s down and 20mb/s up. It's a massive improvement and I have noticed little additional battery drain. Are you on prepaid Philosoraptor?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Nope, postpaid here. Never got more than 30 mbps down on LTE. That was rare. That's been my experience in London, Kitchener-Waterloo, and Hamilton. I always keep forgetting to enable LTE in Toronto to check out the speeds there. So, to me it is a marketing gimmick because I get no noticeable benefit from it in my areas.
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

Yeah fair enough, makes sense that the benefits are certainly tied to signal strength of the particular frequency LTE is coming through. It appears in Toronto it's very strong, so the speeds are a noticeable improvement over HSPA+ and my radio is consistently on LTE, no switching back and forth between to HSPA+ - so my battery life isn't really effected. In areas with weaker LTE the differences can certainly be much more marginal.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

I wanted to post screenshots of my speeds today, but I can't (http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/cant_add_photos_to_topics_comments). 3G: 439 ms, 9.44/1.56 LTE: 357 ms, 7.18/6.30
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

crazy high pings....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Yeah, not thrilled about those today. They're not usually that high.
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

Here's what I'm getting on LTE in Toronto right now... ping: 27ms down: 58.03 mbps up: 23.49 mbps
Userlevel 1
Sophia wrote:

@mattjs! Are you Prepaid or Postpaid?
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

post. Just ran it again with hspa+ as well... LTE ping: 33ms down: 56.12 mbps up: 24.44 mbps And on HSPA+... ping: 79 ms down: 17.21 mbps up: 3.77 mbps Conclusion: Toronto has it good.
Userlevel 1
My S4 gets lte whenever I'm in an lte area but I use hspa to save battery.