Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does Koodo (Telus) share LTE-ADVANCED with the Bell network? Port Hope, ON

Hey Koodo! I am currently a disappointed Chatr customer who is considering changing cellular networks. Currently I am tied with Virgin Mobile (Bell) and Koodo (Telus). I do know that Koodo and Bell share towers. My phone is a 3rd generation unlocked Motorola MOTO G XT1540. This phone uses Cat 6 LTE ADVANCED, thus I wanted to take advantage of that. I have noticed however, that the Telus network opperates only on one band, band 4 at 1700 Mhz. Although it is compatible with my phone, the more bands that are compatible the better, and with Bell I get 3 compatible LTE bands. I also would like to report that I am currently in Port Hope, Ontario. Just as a side note can you also please tell me about the differences between your network and VIRGIN MOBILE's? So far all the plans seem the same and I really am tied and confused on what will serve me best for my individual needs. Thank you and I am really sorry for the lengthy post. - A disappointed CHATR customer who is excited for a new network! 🙂

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Koodo is using Telus so you're not gonna see a difference in speeds or anything. Yes, the towers are shared, so coverage should be the same in Port Hope. If you're very concerned about data speeds though, then Bell/Virgin would be better. I don't think Telus has rolled out Cat 6 LTE yet. Which band does that operate under? 700 or 2500?
Jonathan I wrote:

Koodo is using Telus so you're not gonna see a difference in speeds or anything. Yes, the towers ...

Hi there! I apologize I meant to say Cat 4 not Cat 6. These are the bands my phone supports. Will I be able to get LTE ADVANCED (Cat4) with these? LTE band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 17(700) Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

Koodo is using Telus so you're not gonna see a difference in speeds or anything. Yes, the towers ...

Hi Samiul, would you mind if I ask what makes you disappointed about CHATR? Dropping calls? Undelivered text messages? Low data speed? Poor coverage? Billing Error? Or no LTE service? Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

Koodo uses 1700 & 2100mhz LTE so the same as Bell completely
Jonathan I wrote:

Hi Papaziong! I don't receive LTE or LTE-A service with Chatr. So that's why I am considering a change this February, after by balance runs low. Since my phone is LTE-A compatible I really wanted to take advantage of that. I did check the coverage maps and they seem to provide LTE-A in my area. I just wanted to confirm if it would work with my phone. Thanks!
Jonathan I wrote:

Thank you Paul!
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

[i]Hi Samiul! I think LTE-A should work with your phone since it is compatible. ROGERS does not authorize Chatr with LTE service. That's probably why you can't get the LTE reception.
Jonathan I wrote:

Agreed Papaxiong, I don't understand why Rogers still doesn't provide LTE to Chatr. But I was aware they likely wouldn't, and now I'm proudly ready to switch to Koodo. Are there any steps I need to take before hand? My Chatr balance runs low in February. That's when I plan to switch. Should I call Chatr or Koodo then? Thanks alot. Much appreciated.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

Hi Samiul, you can go to Koodo kiosk with your [b][i]account number in Chatr, not you phone number. If you don't know, you can log in Chatr website to check. If still not available, you need to call Chatr. You must keep you Chatr service in good stand (no suspension nor cancelling). Koodo staff will help you to port in. It takes one or two hours to port in. If you want Koodo prepaid service, you can buy a SIM card from Koodo and port in by yourself online.
Jonathan I wrote:

Thank you Papaxiong! For last question: I want to activate a prepaid Koodo SIM. Can I do that ONLINEand activate it my self with just my cell phone number and account number for Chatr? (I apologize for asking too many questions but I swear this is my last one) I don't have a Koodo store in my area, and can't get one without having to get a taxi a little bit far. Is there anyway Koodo can ship a SIM to me? This will be really helpful for me, so instead of switching in February I might be able to do it in 31 days. Thanks so much Papaxiong. You have helped me so much!
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

Yes, you can. You can buy a [b][i]Prepaid SIM on ebay or Amazon. (Don't buy postpaid SIM because it doesn't work). Then please refer to the links
https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_SelfServe_ActivePrepaidPhone
and follow the steps. My friend is using Koodo prepaid with iPhone 5C. He can get access to LTE. But I am not sure about the accessibility of LTE-A with prepaid since iPhone 5C does not support it and we are not able to test it.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

I am thinking of transfer to Chatr. They offer $25 province wide plan which is good. But I am concerning about missing calls.
Jonathan I wrote:

Chatr has great prepaid plans, but no LTE. They use the Rogers wireless network. I didn't have dropped calls. Data speeds are limited to HSPA+ however. Papaxiong, do you know how postpaid plans work with Koodo? Assuming I get a SIM card and a plan from a store, can I have it charged to my INTERAC Bank account? I am a student and don't have a credit card yet. Thank you!
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

Postpaid service is only available in Koodo kiosk. Postpaid system provides full service including international roaming and extended coverage. Before you get it, Koodo will do a credit check. Interac chequing account is acceptable. Most people will be eligible to for postpaid service.
Jonathan I wrote:

I would be willing to visit a Koodo kiosk, and transfer my number as the plans are great value. I have never done postpaid plans before. So to recap: An RBC Debit INTERAC Bank client Card (Registered on my name) will be capable for Post paid plans? And do I HAVE to visit the store monthly? Thanks again for everything!
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

Debit card is accepted. You can set up pre-authorized payment online or by calling *611. You don't have to visit the store as they don't take monthly payments.
Jonathan I wrote:

Thanks so much! Happy cell service 🙂
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

No Problem. Just ask when you have any questions.