Koodo Community
Solved

Does GPS navigation activate roaming charges?

I got the plan yesterday where when I enter into the United States, I can use my phone for $8 a day. I know the fee is activated by phone or text usage. Is it activated by GPS usage? Particularly what I mean is having the phone hooked up to my car to show me onscreen where I am going and tell me when to make turns to get to where I am going. If I use this function, do I activate the $8 daily charge?
icon

Best answer by rikkster 19 October 2018, 18:33

Yes, the maps can be removed to regain storage space. Across from the map you've downloaded, you should see a trash can icon, tap on the trash can and this will remove the map.

Some devices perform map deletion a little differently. Tap the three bar menu icon at the top left of the screen and select 'Download Maps'. Tap Manage. Select the map you want to delete, then press the Delete button at the bottom of the screen.

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 1
GPS doesn't go through Koodo, but mobile data does. So if you have maps cached for offline use, you should be golden. You can always test it by turning your mobile data off and trying to use the GPS. The last time I used it, Google maps let me cache a rectangle of maps for offline use, but Nokia Here maps would let me download entire regions for offline use. But it's been years since I've done that, so things might be better or worse today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here We Go and Navigator, as well as some others, will allow you to download the maps ahead of time while on wifi. A full set of maps for North America can weigh in at 4 gigs, but either one will let you store whatever states or provinces you might need for any particular trip.

I use both on the road with my mobile data off. Choice depends on what interface you prefer.

GPS by itself involves no charges at all.
Thank you, gentlemen. Now I just have to figure out how to download the maps. Any tips there?
Badge +4
Best to download apps and maps over Wi-Fi. Here We Go maps is available on Google Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

Once downloaded, you select the country, then the state or province you're in. An entire country can be downloaded, but as Bob points out, this can take up a fair amount of storage space.
Great, rikkster. Can the maps be deleted after I use them, in order to regain the storage space?
Badge +4
Yes, the maps can be removed to regain storage space. Across from the map you've downloaded, you should see a trash can icon, tap on the trash can and this will remove the map.

Some devices perform map deletion a little differently. Tap the three bar menu icon at the top left of the screen and select 'Download Maps'. Tap Manage. Select the map you want to delete, then press the Delete button at the bottom of the screen.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your phone has provision for an SD card, the apps preferences can be set to use that as storage so as not to clog up the system area.