Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does anyone know if the Moto G will be getting Kit Kat 4.4 update?

Userlevel 2
Moto G not getting the latest update to Kit Kat 4.4? Contacted Motorola they have no idea if we in Canada will get the update. US phones Moto G are now getting the update. The US website states that they are guaranteed to receive the update in the US but in Canada the website does not have the guaranty for Canadians. Also when I check my cached processes there is about 100 mgs missing?

43 replies

Userlevel 2
According to this site, the 4.4.2 update is available for all Moto G devices: "The update is for both the U.S. and global versions of the Moto G." http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-g-getting-android-442-kitkat-starting-today However, the rollout will depend on the carrier who controls if and when it occurs.
Under phone features on koodos web site it says "Android 4.3, Jelly Bean with guaranteed upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat" So it is not a matter of if, but a matter of when! Lets get on the ball here koodo!!!!
Does anyone know if Motorolas PC software can update it? That's how I had to do it when I had a Samsung s2x. The s2x never actually had the option to even check for an update... Samsung's keis air program allowed me to update while synced through USB.
Badge +4
The KitKat upgrade will be an over the air upgrade, meaning that you won't have to be tethered to a computer to receive the upgrade, (as was the case with the S2x and Kies). A message will appear when the upgrade/download is ready. You can also check manually by going to Settings > About phone and selecting System updates. The delivery of an OS upgrade normally takes place after the software has undergone extensive testing both by the manufacturer and carrier respectively. The claim that the Moto G is guaranteed to upgrade to KitKat 4.4 is made by the manufacturer and not Koodo. Motorola's Canadian site also shows the guaranteed upgrade. http://www.motorola.ca/moto-g-ca-en/moto-g-ca-en.html

Maybe I'm a little confused. I was only thinking to do it while tethered through USB because I thought they had 4.4 on the moto g in the US already. I figured koodo had something to do with it not finding a newer version when trying to do it over the air. That was the issue with my s2x.
Badge +4
Eric Hayward wrote:

Maybe I'm a little confused. I was only thinking to do it while tethered through USB because I th...

The S2x has never had over the air capability until the arrival of Jellybean 4.1.2. This meant that the OS upgrade had to be performed using Kies while tethered to a computer. The Moto G has over the air capability so there is no need for tethering or additional software like Samsung Kies. There is the option to obtain the upgrade while tethered, using Motorola's Device Manager software, but you won't get the upgrade any faster because it is simply not available in Canada at the moment. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481/action/auth According to sources, the KitKat OS upgrade which began rolling out around mid-December in the U.S., is initially for unlocked Moto G handsets bought either on Amazon or through Motorola's own webstore in the U.S. Those who bought a Moto G through a carrier, or in a different region - whether through a carrier or not - will get the update "soon" Motorola promises, though there's no public timeline as yet
Get 20GB cloud from copy and you will never be out of memory space : https://copy.com?r=yj2Z8K This is easily my favorite cloud storage to date.
I don't see how being in the US or canada would make any difference. Is the phone not the same?
Userlevel 4
Eric Hayward wrote:

I don't see how being in the US or canada would make any difference. Is the phone not the same?

One would think but that is not always the case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Eric Hayward wrote:

Carriers often play a large role in updates.
Userlevel 5
Eric Hayward wrote:

I would hope that wouldn't be the case with this one as there is very little bloatware. I guess we will see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Eric Hayward wrote:

The self serve app is considered bloatware John, any app added to the phones app list for services offered by said carrier are what bloatware is.
Userlevel 5
Eric Hayward wrote:

There is also a piece or two of Motorola Bloatware on it keeping it from being true Vanilla Android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Eric Hayward wrote:

True and the good thing about Motorola bloatware this year is that it is useful and actually adds to the user experience unlike Samsung bloatware which are half useful and half gimmicky.
Haven't really had much time to sit down at the computer and toy with my phone. I'll try and squeek it in tonight.
So, I just got the OTA for 4.4.2 but it fails to install. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Matt Green wrote:

So, I just got the OTA for 4.4.2 but it fails to install. :(

Matt Did you actually get it over the air or did you try installing an OTA file using your computer? Also do you have a Moto G purchased from Koodo or an unlocked model purchased elsewhere?
Matt Green wrote:

Hey Paul, I have a Koodo Moto G and received the OTA notification from the phone itself. I've done some testing in the meantime, and it seems the install log is saying the OTA package is looking for 'falcon_utms' but is finding an 'xt1032', and is aborting the install. Pretty weird as it IS an xt1032 model.
Matt Green wrote:

Yah the ota package it downloads, which you find in system\cache, says Telus like the one above.
Matt Green wrote:

Additionally, the new version is: 173.44.9.en.CA
Badge +4
Whether Android, iOS, Blackberry or WP 7/8, we usually get plenty of notification from a variety of reliable sources when an upgrade becomes available. Sources are speculating that the KitKat upgrade for the Moto G, will arrive near the end of January. Not sure how you wound up with an OTA update before anyone else in Canada. Just wait for the official upgrade to release. For those interested, an unlocked bootloader will not interfere with the OTA upgrades. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/91999/p/1449,8620/action/auth
rikkster wrote:

Whether Android, iOS, Blackberry or WP 7/8, we usually get plenty of notification from a variety ...

Hey Rikkster, I totally agree. Could this be a hiccup by Telus/Koodo? It surprised me just as much as anyone, to have an OTA notification without any accompanying announcements. What's bizarre is that the OTA downloads and is identified as TELUS. So... wtf?
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Whether Android, iOS, Blackberry or WP 7/8, we usually get plenty of notification from a variety ...

Could be, but I've seen no update schedule for the Moto G on their site. Another way to check would be to open up Motorola Device Manager, plug in your XT1032, if an upgrade is available, tell me what the version number is.
rikkster wrote:

Doing it that way, there is no update. But from the phone itself, I get a standard OTA notice. Here's a screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38064/Screenshot_2014-01-10-11-12-42.png
rikkster wrote:

Victoria, BC. But, as I said in my OP, it fails to install.