Koodo Community
Solved

Do you guys unlock phones? or would I have to get it unlocked before bringing it.

I already have a plan, and a phone on a Koodo tab, but I want to use my SIM Card with my new Motorola RAZR HD, so I was wondering if you guys are able to do the phone unlocking yourself or I would have to get it unlocked somewhere else?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo can only unlock Koodo phones. If the phone is locked to another carrier you will have to unlock it elsewhere
Dennis wrote:

Koodo can only unlock Koodo phones. If the phone is locked to another carrier you will have to u...

Exactly what I needed to know, Thanks for the lightning fast response, Dennis.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can try cellunlocker.net or GSMLiberty.com they're both great for unlocking phones fast and for a decent price.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

You can try cellunlocker.net or GSMLiberty.com they're both great for unlocking phones fast and f...

Why is it cheaper with 3rd parties to unlock phones than with the carrier themselves. I need to unlock a Telus phone- debating about going to telus to unlock it or 3rd party. Is there a small downside unlocking with a 3rd party?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'd just like to add that Koodo isn't unique in not offering unlocking services for devices locked to other networks. Other carriers have the same policy.
Carriers are more expensive because they are giving you the factory unlock, where as going through a 3rd party they (typically) unlock it by jailbreaking your software which voids your warranty and is also reset when you do a software update. Telus will unlock devices for $35.00 so typically they only will do it when the phone is still active because they have no other way to charge for it.
tummysink wrote:

Carriers are more expensive because they are giving you the factory unlock, where as going throug...

OH! I see. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
tummysink wrote:

Carriers are more expensive because they are giving you the factory unlock, where as going throug...

Ummm no? I've unlocked several devices through cellunlocker.net and they stayed that way and it did not do any sort of software tomfoolery to do it, either. Jailbreaking is only on iPhones and that is a warranty voider because it actually hacks the software to do things to the OS not authorized by Apple. An unlock code doesn't do that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
tummysink wrote:

Wow tummysink that's so wrong whoever gave him a star please take the star back as it's completely not true and could confuse ppl. Johnathan is completely right and your mixing things up tummysink.
Userlevel 5
tummysink wrote:

tummysink is technically right when talking about iPhones if you get it done offline. A few ifs there but in a certain situation that is true.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
tummysink wrote:

The OP is talking about an android phone not an iPhone. That aside your saying that when you pay a 3rd party service like cellunlocker.net to unlock your iPhone they can jailbreak it remotely and unlock it and that how they unlock it?
Hi you can easily unlock your motorola razr hd mobile through online unlocking service. If you need unlock code you can visit this site http://www.simpleunlocking.com/motorola-droid-razr-hd/rs16wp9/ here you can get the code and unlock your mobile easily. To get the code you have to mentioned which country is locked now,network provider and imei number. Then they send unlock code through email.
Userlevel 7
jhuiohjuio wrote:

Hi you can easily unlock your motorola razr hd mobile through online unlocking service. If you n...

Nobody use this ^ it's SPAM