Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Do you get charged for Wifi?

Do you get charged for wifi ?

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No, absolutely never, Morgan 🙂 However if your concern is not to use data ever, you might make sure to switch that off (in case you're not on WiFi occasionally) 🙂
Sophia wrote:

No, absolutely never, Morgan 🙂 However if your concern is not to use data ever, you might make ...

How do i switch it off? 🙂
Userlevel 5
Sophia wrote:

No, absolutely never, Morgan 🙂 However if your concern is not to use data ever, you might make ...

You can swith off data from your device, if you tell us which device you have we'll be able to help you further 🙂
Sophia wrote:

How do you do that ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

In your Android settings, go to Wireless and Networks, then click More => Mobile Networks => [b]Untick "Data enabled" and "Data Roaming"
Sophia wrote:

So if we use wifi at home then we don't get charged?
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Correct. You can use Wi-Fi anywhere you like provided there's a Wi-Fi signal, (e.g. coffee shops, hotels, restaurants, etc) and you won't be charged for data usage. As a precaution, make sure you have mobile data turned off so that your phone doesn't use data when you get out of range of a Wi-Fi signal.
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

How do I confirm that my mobile data is turned off after I leave a restaurant Wi Fi hotspot?
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

If mobile data is turned off, you won't see the 4G icon/indicator in the notifications area. Assuming you have an Android device, installing a data toggle widget on your phones' home screen is another way to instantly confirm whether mobile data is enabled or disabled. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.data.enabler

Userlevel 4
Short answer 🙂 No.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Short answer 🙂 No.

Thank you 🙂
Userlevel 2
Good answer, rikkster. I especially liked the graphics. Sometimes, a picture really is worth a 1,000 words.
Badge +4
Mike Sheehan wrote:

Good answer, rikkster. I especially liked the graphics. Sometimes, a picture really is worth a ...

Glad to be of help Mike and welcome to the community.
What if you live in Canada and are travelling to the US? can you use wifi in the states and not get charged?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lana McNab wrote:

What if you live in Canada and are travelling to the US? can you use wifi in the states and not g...

WiFi is free anywhere in the world, Lana 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lana McNab wrote:

What if you live in Canada and are travelling to the US? can you use wifi in the states and not g...

You may have to pay the provider of the WiFi for the privilege of connecting to it. Many hotels charge for this service, for instance. However, the cellular supplier does not charge you for the WiFi data you consume.
Lana McNab wrote:

Well IF Wi-Fi is free in the US, then why did Koodo bill me over $100 this past summer when I was in the US and NOT once did I use anything other than the hotel "free" Wi-Fi?? (I complained to Koodo but was told I must have used DATA on my phone when I know I didn't, leaving me to believe that all of the access to the Wi-Fi was billed to my account.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lana McNab wrote:

Check out: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/data-and-how-to-make-the-most-of-it especially the section on playstore. Is there a chance you are allowing auto-updates on anything other than wifi? Allowing updates over the air are a sure way to rattle your cage.
Lana McNab wrote:

I should add that I DID PURCHASE THE US travel for two weeks during that billing period I mentioned. (The $ 100. plus, charges were over and above my charges for the US Calling plan I purchased.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lana McNab wrote:

Terry, it is IMPOSSIBLE for carriers to charge for 3rd party WiFi, period. The only time you pay for WiFi is in the situation dfbutt described: when the hotel and/or airport etc charge to use it. But then that is paid directly to the service, not your carrier (Koodo). You simply must have used data, if you were charged for it. Next time make sure you disable roaming data when you travel - it is as easy as removing a tick from your settings.