Koodo Community

Community

Solved

do I need to unlock my koodoo phone if my tab is fully paid to port to another provider?

I want to port my number over to chatr because they have more better talk and data plans for less. My phone is paid for can I just port it over or do I have to unlock it first. And if I do have to unlock it how do I do this with koodoo please.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Annette,

Yes you do need to unclog your phone. The procedure can be found on Koodo's site : http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-...

Sorry to see you leave.
Userlevel 3
Robert wrote:

Hello Annette,

Yes you do need to unclog your phone. The procedure can be found on Koodo's site ...

Unclog
Userlevel 5
That is only if you want to use your existing phone over at Chatr.  If you are getting a new phone when you sign up at Chatr, your existing Koodo phone does not need to be unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's cheapest with Android to use a third party unlocker. I go by the best price and feedback on eBay usually. Much less than the 50 Koodo charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@ Annette, just a heads up that to unlock a phone and porting a number an account would have to be in good standing with no outstanding amounts.

Looking at you last month's invoice the large expense seem to have been incurred due to US roaming.
It's costs 25 bucks with Koodo to unlock your phone. Just call them 611 from your phone. It's easy: they send you a message to unlock the phone then follow the instructions. But I find Koodo is the best provider so far and if you got your account when they first started you won't find better deals anywhere. My price is still 35 dollars all in tab paid twice, service reception where many other companies can't get it, plus quick service like Amazon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dmi Pro wrote:

It's costs 25 bucks with Koodo to unlock your phone. Just call them 611 from your phone. It's eas...

Koodo currently charges $50 for unlocking phones. Some older service agreements will have lower unlocking fees but generally speaking it is $50.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
" ...they have more better talk and data plans for less..."
 - I don't know where you live, but you should check their coverage area too.  If you are out of their zone, you will get Pay-per-use charges for calls, texts and data... 
Userlevel 4
Annette if you want to use your phone only locally and don't mind constantly switching to 2G or GSM Legacy/Edge, that is not a bad choice for a price. Their local zone in Ontario reaches even Niagara Falls but not Barrie. The problem is that  if you want to use one of their plans in zone with data, it is not very cheap, and they operate only on Rogers'  3G network which is slower than Koodo's  4G.  if you get used to LTE and higher speeds you probably sooner or latter will regret if you had some good plan with  Koodo.