Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Do I need a new SIM card? (Reception/4G Issue)

Hello.  I have an LG G2 D800, and I'm having a cell signal issue.
I'm on Koodo Prepaid, and am in Windsor, Ontario.

I have had the phone for a few days now, and am having signal issues.
The phone struggles to maintain a weak signal when connecting to the 4G network, and so because of that, I've used the hidden menu to force it to only use 3G networks, as when signal is weak the battery will run down faster as the phone is trying harder to acquire a signal, as well as the additional power drain of 4G.

[b]Now the question.

The SIM in this phone previously came from a packaged prepaid HTC Desire 320 that was purchased new from a BestBuy around 5 months ago.  I've read anecdotal statements that some have had signal improvements after swapping out their SIM for a new one.  [b]Is this recommended at all, or when using a new phone?  And yes, my Koodo APN settings are correct.

[b]One other thing.

That is roughly the signal I have when on the 3G network.  It averages around the yellow zone, but sometimes enters green.  [b]Is that an acceptable signal strength under normal conditions?  Likely paranoia, but other LG G2 owners has posted about reception issues.  [b]This relates to the SIM card question.

Thank you for any insight.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Numbers for reception don't look great, but should be serviceable. You are obviously knowledgeable and have done probably as much as you can do in terms of diagnosis. My Note II, a unit not renowned for its robustness of connection, would be fine all day with your numbers on prepaid, and will regularly go to -102 before dropping out. My SIM was bought two months ago at a Koodo boutique.

I would cut to the chase and visit one of the Koodo boutiques in Windsor that offer repair service and get them to check out the phone with one of their SIMS. That will settle the SIM question.

You can follow the [b]Stores link at the bottom left of this page.
You can go out and by your own sims card at a COSTCO near you and it's not expensive, here in saint john you would only pay 25$ with a card that you can put into your laptop computer to take pics and save your personal things on it...Better and get as many GBs as you want , the more GBs the better and more space on your phone...
Userlevel 7
Evelina Preshyon wrote:

You can go out and by your own sims card at a COSTCO near you and it's not expensive, here in sai...

That's not a sim card that's a SD card
Evelina Preshyon wrote:

You can go out and by your own sims card at a COSTCO near you and it's not expensive, here in sai...

The issue has been solved.  Thank you for your replies.