Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Do I have to pay off my current (old) tab prior to buying a new phone? (Meaning I would lose my promotional plan with 15% tab contribution)

[b]Some background: I have been with Koodo since 2009. Last winter I upgraded to a S4 on medium tab. I have a promotional plan for $50 for 1gb data, 1000 min & 15% tab contribution plus medium tab contribution of $5 each month. This works out to $7.61 contribution by koodo and $5 contributed by me, total $12.61 each month. With this payment plan, I have 17 months left until my S4 will be paid for (which equals to a total of $129 contributed by koodo and $85 contributed by me). As you can tell, I like math!

[b]My dilemma/question: I want to get a new phone & have cash to get a new phone. Can I buy a new phone WITHOUT first paying off my koodo tab, therefore keeping my promotional plan & their contribution ($50 for 1gb data, 1000 min and 15% tab contribution)? Or will koodo make me pay off my tab balance first before purchasing a new phone? (Meaning although I continue to pay $50 for plan, koodo would not be contributing $7.61/mth or $129 total, towards the tab balance). I would really love an answer so that I can decide where to go from here.  

[b]Rant: (read if you would like, but not necessary to answer question). This entire thing is very confusing and I wish Koodo would keep customers better informed 😞 First the per-second billing disappeared without current customers being informed (went to upgrade plan and it was gone!), then 911 charge gets added to my bill and I receive a text a week AFTER it's already added on, and now the tabs are changed and no longer is Koodo contributing 😞 Wish they would do a better job of keeping long time customers informed of changes! It might not impact us right now, but it will when we upgrade. 

icon

Best answer by Chad Burr 12 September 2015, 16:29

You can absolutely buy a phone without paying off your tab or loosing your plan. You only have to pay off your tab if you wish to finance via a new tab or take advantage of the new plans.

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
You can absolutely buy a phone without paying off your tab or loosing your plan. You only have to pay off your tab if you wish to finance via a new tab or take advantage of the new plans.