Koodo Community

Community

Solved

disable data after reaching 100% plan allocation

I have teenagers.  Need I say more?  500MB should be sufficient to get between the wifi hotspots in a month.  Needless to say, despite getting warnings as they reach their plan limit they continue to use data and insist its not their fault.  I just want the data to stop when they reach 500MB.  Can this be done?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Not just yet but I think they're working on it. In the meantime most phones can be set to disable data once a threshold is met. What phones do your spawn have?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tell them that data overage charges will be deducted from their allowance. (That what I did to my kids and worked)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Put a data block on their lines temporarily and insist that it's not your fault 😉
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Put a data block on their lines temporarily and insist that it's not your fault 😉

That would mean Tim would have to monitor his children's use.
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Not too hard to do with all the tools at ones disposal these days 😉
Userlevel 7
Ivan wrote:

Or just never take it off by "accident"
Userlevel 3
Tim, my sympathy to the issue of teens and data overage. It happens to all of us, those darn kids. Many androids have a setting to turn off data once a limit is reached but anyone can disable that setting through the phone settings so until the 'provider' is able to enforce limits the only solution I have is one of two things; 1) try to teach them the responsible use of their device and plan options Or 2) have the data turned off on their devices and let them do WiFi only. I know not having Data is  painful for them but the reality is as long as they can text and make calls not having Data won't hurt them.
Userlevel 7
grampad wrote:

Tim, my sympathy to the issue of teens and data overage. It happens to all of us, those darn kids...

Actually there are android apps that can password protect access to the settings so that these functions can't be messed with. For instance: http://www.addictivetips.com/android/best-free-android-tools-to-lock-password-protect-apps/