Koodo Community

Community

Solved

difficult to aces free WiFi anywhere with HTC ONE 8

10 replies

Userlevel 7
A lot of popular restauraunts or coffee shops that offer free WiFi have an agreement page you need to go through before it'll actually work on your phone. When you connect to those places through WiFi on your phone, wait until a notification card appears saying "sign-in to use X network" and click on it to be redirected to the page. Accept their terms and conditions and then it should work.

If it doesn't appear, you may have to try it manually. Go into your browser and go to any website. It might give an error and say can't connect to the server, insecure connection, etc. but it could also display the authentication page. It's a bit more hit or miss. Usually the sign-in page works from the notification area.
Jonathan I wrote:

A lot of popular restauraunts or coffee shops that offer free WiFi have an agreement page yo...

Thanks Jonathan will try this tomorrow..I got cannot load page, never had a problem with my old HTC, I just got this new HTC ONE 8, greatly appreciate your response. 🙂

Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

A lot of popular restauraunts or coffee shops that offer free WiFi have an agreement page yo...

If it doesn't connect to any WiFi networks at all then you may have a phone issue. But we have to go through normal troubleshooting first.
Jonathan I wrote:

I cannot even get to that page,tonight I tried at home depot,got the same at Walmart.Do you think there is somewhere in my settings that is set incorrectly...thank you
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I don't have my One M8 with me at the moment, though I am looking through some of the Wi-Fi settings on my One M9. Go to: Settings, then tap Wi-Fi. Tap the three small dots in the upper right hand corner. Select 'Advanced'. From here, you should be able to turn on 'Network notification', which will notify you whenever there's an available Wi-Fi hotspot nearby. Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep - Always. What this does is keep your Wi-Fi connection active when the One M8 drifts off to sleep or the screen darkens. Tap the area, 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' to change the setting to Always. If you have this option, 'Wi-Fi frequency band' this should be set to 2.4 GHz or Automatic. While there are 5 GHz wireless routers out there, signal range and penetrability is significantly reduced. The majority of free hotspots use 2.4 GHz. Still on the Wi-Fi advanced settings page, you may see the option, 'Hotspot sign-in'. This setting automatically opens the sign-in/agreement pages Jonathan mentioned for internet access. Place a checkmark in the checkbox to enable. I'm using a lot of mays' and shoulds' because my One M9 is running a newer version of Android. Some of the settings on the advanced settings page may not appear on your One M8. Check if you have similar settings and keep us posted.
Jonathan I wrote:

All the setting you said in your message I have..and just today at Tim Hortons I could NOT log in again. McDonalds is ok..not Walmart ( both of them). I get reload page.

Userlevel 7
Jonathan I wrote:

Tim Hortons is hit or miss for me at several locations in my area as well. As for Mcdonalds I found a trick: go to mcd.datavalet.net in your phone's browser and it will force the authentication page.
Jonathan I wrote:

Thanks I will try that...

Userlevel 7
Personally, I often have trouble connecting to free WiFi available at coffee shops, restoraunts etc (and I'm a Networking guy on top of that!)

They don't offer the most reliable signals and connection speeds and you have to share a connection with everyone else in the location that is connected to the network which can slow things down as well. If you are able to access private networks (such as your home) with ease, then it is definitely not the phone that is the issue. As others have mentioned already, make sure you agree to terms and conditions on the sign on page and once you do that, you should be all set. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mathieu wrote:

Personally, I often have trouble connecting to free WiFi available at coffee shops, restoraunts e...

Wifi for McDo and others is a lose/lose proposition. They want to attract customers, but they don't want the tables occupied for hours on end with game players sipping cold coffee. So it stands to reason that these connections are designed to be slow, none too reliable but cheap to operate.

Don't rate your phone by the quality of this type of connection. I personally prefer to keep BigMac grease away from the front panel of my phone, in any event.