Koodo Community
Solved

desperately need a new phone, and some assistance

This phone needs to go, I have just got the third phone call today asking if I was phoning them because my number came on each persons display, first call at 6 am this morning, then second call this afternoon and the third call at 8:25pm. This is not fair, and I do not want to shut the phone off in case I get an emergency call as I have a grandma who is 100 years old, and she might need to call me.. This needs to be attended too immediately or by tomorrow during business hours. Please make this a priority. Thank you, Laura Smail PS will send you my number again by email when I receive a response to this problem.

37 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your # is probably being spoofed by someone if it's people you don't know that are being called supposedly by your #. Check this out http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/saskatoon/phone-spoofing-scammers-disguise-as-local-callers-1.2568360 If that's the case it has nothing to do with the phone or with koodo at all. If it's people you know then you must be pocket dialing them without your knowing as the phone can't just call people without the display being manipulated either wilfully or unknowingly. Put a pattern lock on your phones lock screen so you can't accidently call anyone else.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Easiest way to tell is to check your call log, if the number the other person is calling you from doesn't show as an outgoing call then it's spoofing and your only option is to change your number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Twin Peaks Farm 1 hour ago Since I can't respond to last question, here is my response to the random calling of phone edit subject Its not spoofed. I was speaking to my mother, and as soon as I hung up, my friend calls telling me I just called her. I said no, that this phone is randomly calling people. My mother called at 6 am, asking if everything is all right, and I said yes, I am sleeping. Well, she said you just called me a few minutes ago. So my phone woke her up and in turn she woke me up. I am out moving hay in, I get back in doors on Saturday and I went to call a friend and the phone said I had made 4 phone calls to 2 different people, all people on my contact list during my time in the field. I use my phone like it is a land line. I do not carry my phone with me on most occasions. The only time I have my phone with me is when the weather turns bad and I might need it in case of an accident or break down etc. during minus 30 weather.
This is the last time I will try to post a response, as it keeps telling me to join facebook or twitter or google or whatever, and I am not doing this joining thing to leave a response. That's crap. Anyways, it is not your so called spoofing. I see that my phone is calling people on my contact list, which I have said that numerous times. There is something wrong with the phone, simple as that. Do something for your customers, quit trying to blame it on all these other things, and do your job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

This is the last time I will try to post a response, as it keeps telling me to join facebook or t...

We're n ot blaming you we are trying to figure out what's up. We also don't work for koodo. Is there a. Lock in your phone like a password or pattern?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

This is the last time I will try to post a response, as it keeps telling me to join facebook or t...

Also you don't HAVE to join any of those you can just click the first tab and sign in through get satisfaction.
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

Not sure if there is a lock in the phone, but would assume that they checked that all out in the second time I sent it in for repairs, as it was gone for 7 weeks
Userlevel 7
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

From the sounds of things when it comes to your phone dialing people, you may be having a couple of issues with it,

1. The device may be pocket dialing like Paul said, so you would have to enable a screen lock of some sort on your phone so that when you shut the screen off it doesn't dial anybody. I have a Nexus 4 (not the same phone but close enough) and I've had issues like that when I haven't locked the screen and it's dialed more than one person.

To enable a screen lock you can go into Settings then Security and then select Screen Lock then you choose what form of screen lock you want, I'd recommend using a Pin style code and that will keep it locked, also when you set the lock screen as well put the lock on so that it locks immediately after the screen goes off.

2. The other issue you may be having could be a SIM card issue. Rogers (I know this is Koodo, but it can happen regardless of carrier) had issues with faulty sim cards years ago with people sending messages or making phone calls without their knowing. So you can possibly try another sim in the phone and try it to see if you have the reoccurring issue. Mind you this is the second option, not saying you need to go this route but it can help.

Try the first method for a few days and if you get the issue occurring again try a new sim and go from there, some things like this happen and you're not the first and you definitely won't be the last, but that's what we're here for to help people in situations like this, so hopefully this helps with your issue. 🙂
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

Daniel, I use my phone at home, so not pocket dialing as I said before. Not sure what a SIM card is, but I have a phone, to call in and call out. Simple
Userlevel 7
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

Yes that's true, but the sim card is what gives you service through Koodo, they would have put one in your phone when you initially signed up so your phone can connect to the network. You'd have to take the back cover off the phone to remove the sim card.

So if you have tried sending it back a couple times already for this issue, someone should have suggested using a new sim card in the phone. If the issue persists then it is a hardware problem. I used to work for tech support for Rogers a few years ago and those would be the steps I'd tell someone to try if they were having issues like this. Especially with the phone dialing people by itself.
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

Okay I did the security setting thing and put in a pin number, and now I can't dial out (after putting the pin in) or have my mother calling and she can't call in. Yeah, I guess in a laughing matter, problem solved, lol. It sure isn't calling anyone randomly now.and I sure as heck can't call either. Now lets see if I can get rid of the pin thing as I can't get away from the original screen, lol
Userlevel 7
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

When you put the pin code on your phone you need to punch in the code each time it locks itself to make a call, when receiving a call it will allow you to answer it like it always does. So no need to remove it right away.
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

you can put your phone to sleep and that should I avoid the nonsense calls. If you set your grandmother's number up as a favorite she should be able to call through even if the phone is asleep.
Koodo admitted there is something wrong and said they would send me a new phone. I received in the mail and opened the box and it was empty. So called koodo and they said I had to send the empty box back through courier and then they will charge me 25.00 (after I was told it was waived) and they will send me a phone, but in the meantime, I have to send this phone back, to leave me with no telephone service. while this transaction is made. I finally got in touch with a koodo worker I am assuming, and they said my message will be sent to head office to be reviewed on the koodo employee that called me a liar, and said the phone just doesn't call people. Well, it does, and I asked them to leave me with the loaner and they can keep the Moto G, as it had been in for repairs twice and they can't find anything wrong. They said no, so I am letting everyone know about the treatment I get from them, and they just need to make things right. Have never been late on a bill, and have used koodo for 3 years about. They need to stand up, and do something about it. I guarantee, that everyone that calls me saying I called them, will not be using koodo, its giving them a bad name.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

Koodo admitted there is something wrong and said they would send me a new phone. I received in th...

You can't just choose to "let Koodo keep the Moto G" because you're not happy with the hardware quality. Past the initial 15 days, the warranty is in the hands of Motorola and Koodo just handles shipping of the product (at their own cost - not Motorola's). This treatment would be no different with any other carrier - they all have identical return policies and not a single one repairs any phone themselves.
Twin Peaks Farm wrote:

Koodo admitted there is something wrong and said they would send me a new phone. I received in th...

You are wrong Ivan, this is what I have warranty for and they took it back twice for repairs, so that means they do repair them.
Oh and one more thing, this has been going on for 6 months, so not a new problem, and thinking of calling Global News Trouble Shooters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Settings security lock Set s pattern lock as those are simple to do one handed See if that solves your problem Also, are you using a bluetooth headset? Maybe an older one?
Thanks Chad for info, but not sure what a Bluetooth is. I told them before, all I want is a phone that I can dial out, and a person can call me. That's it. Pretty simple. If I had known all of this, I would have kept my land line. I am in my 50's, so all this Sim, Bluetooth etc. not sure what any of this stuff it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Um you don't need a pin to answer the phone. Just answer it.
Userlevel 6
Hi Laura, we received your email and it has been forwarded to our management team. You should get a reply soon! Thank you for your patience! ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Thank you Yannick.
Userlevel 1
here could be one reason.... http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/371401-possible-bug-phone-auto-dialing-new-call-after-hanging-up-another-caller.html
Allan Kelly wrote:

here could be one reason.... http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/371401-possible-...

Thanks again Allan, all the people that were telling me a phone can not dial out on its own, obviously have no idea what there speaking about, as that was exactly what I have been going through, so I do sympathize for all those people whos phones were calling people, and no one believes them. There is probably a lot more people that have gone through this to that we don't know about, and the maker of MotoG need to help them.
Userlevel 1
and straight from Motorola Forums... https://forums.motorola.com/posts/9bd05fa447