Koodo Community

Community

Solved

DCIM (photos) folder is empty...Photo's still on cellphone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I wanted to extract some photos to my PC and I saw that the DCIM was empty. At first I could access DCIM > Camera folder but then after a driver update for I don't know what the camera folder disapeared... Also, I must mention that when I accessed the camera folder on my Samsung GS4, it was empty. Though, the pictures are visible on the phone itself and on its file manager. The Auto Play shows this :

35 replies

Userlevel 6
Is Debug enabled? Have you tried Bluetoothing them over? Uploading to your Dropbox / Drive account? Uninstall the driver & re-install? Rebooting your phone? Try plugging it into a different port? If the USB port on the phone is damaged, that might be a cause of the PC not reading it properly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Debug? What is it? Yeah, BT is working, but not the best solution isn't it? Dropbox too I'm going to try reboot my phone Which driver to install? I had a Windows Update about Samsung or something. Didn't install anything. I'll try this too
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Debug? What is it? Yeah, BT is working, but not the best solution isn't it? Dropbox too I'm go...

Debugging mode is what enables you to send ADB commands to your phone Robert. It is VERY handy!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Debug? What is it? Yeah, BT is working, but not the best solution isn't it? Dropbox too I'm go...

What are ADB commands and what are they for?
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

http://developer.android.com/tools/help/adb.html ADB commands can be used for all sort of things. As I'm not a dev though, I use them when flashing custom things on my phone. The 3 most common things I use ADB for are: 1) adb oem unlock (this unlocks the bootloader, like on a Nexus for example) 2) adb flash recovery xxxxx.img (this flashes a custom recovery of your choice) 3) adb flash radio xxxxx.img (I use this to flash new radios) N.B. To unlock the bootloader, it needs to be unlockable (Canadian S4's are) You can also use adb to reboot directly in fastboot mode, in recovery, or back into Android. It's powerful (in the right hands), it's useful (in my hands and many others) and you need it 😛 You have an iPhone Robert... right?
Userlevel 7
Robert wrote:

No it's an S4 lol
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Oh... well Robert, get yourself some free time this evening cause you've got some interesting reads headed your way 🙂 You owe it to yourself to know how to use this very handy tool! I forgot another VERY useful thing I use adb for... You know how frustrating it is when you plug your Android device into your computer's USB port and for some reason, it's not recognized and you can't transfer files to/from it? ADB will work in these cases too! And it's great when you're short on time 🙂 I'm a bit puzzled you did not know about ADB since you're a MM and all that, but hey, you'll be using ADB in no time after a 10 minutes read 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

First time with an Android device. Everything was so simple on my now-stolen iPhone that I didn't need those kind of tools 😛
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

You were also severely limited wielding an iPhone 🙂 Welcome to the freedom side 😃 You'll enjoy it! I wish to mention it's my opinion only before I get downvoted to hell 😛 Oh wait... this is not Reddit, lol!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

I feel so dumb reading all that! It's so o.O" I wish this never happened! I don't even know what caused it!!
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Hey Robert, it's not so bad, don't worry, you'll sort it all out in no time! Once you get a good go at it, you'll laugh at how easy it is (for the basic stuff, that is!)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you set it to save them on your SD Card and not in the internal memory, if so check the SD Card
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Did you set it to save them on your SD Card and not in the internal memory, if so check the SD Card

No SD card yet. Also, how do you do this? Make it save to the SD card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
UPDATE : Now after a reboot of the phone. The "connected as a media device" doesn't even show anymore...
Userlevel 7
Robert wrote:

UPDATE : Now after a reboot of the phone. The "connected as a media device" doesn't even show any...

Robert, you have to download Samsung Kies. Just google it honestly
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

UPDATE : Now after a reboot of the phone. The "connected as a media device" doesn't even show any...

Why would I need to download it right now since it worked just before today?
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Well, one day, I went to my car and noticed I had a flat tire. It was fine an hour before, but I was now faced with a flat tire, and had to repair/change it. These things happen Robert 😛 We have no control over this 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Yeah but in this situation you could change the flat tire yourself or call AAA or CAA. Why would you opt for the second option if you could do it yourself. The flat tire was caused by something and I am puzzled to why it happened overnight! 'Cause this is what you'll do if you wake up one hour later and the car has a flat tire 😉
Userlevel 7
Robert wrote:

Just do it! 😛
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

I never said I wasn't puzzled 😃 hehehe... However, I still had to do something about is, so I grabbed my floor jack and got dirty 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
UPDATE: This is what made it start IMO

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just went with the whole package which meant an Erase and Restore! I needed to do this anyway in order to see if my MISC files were getting smaller. So I guess now it's the time!
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Just went with the whole package which meant an Erase and Restore! I needed to do this anyway in ...

Did you end up doing it? Phone working? Keep up updated! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Just went with the whole package which meant an Erase and Restore! I needed to do this anyway in ...

I did... and someone's going to get hurt tonight! I'Ve been waitinf 30 minutes for KIES TO OPEN and UPDATE! And...it still didn't work. Device not recognized.
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Can't help you much with Kies though as I only use custom roms and Kies does not support them, so I never used it. 😞