Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Daytrip to the USA, don't want to roam but want to use WiFi if possible?

I usually keep my smartphone at home when I go to the States to shop, but I want to bring it this time.  I don't want to be charged for anything extra on my bill, so how would I bring my phone across to Michigan but still take advantage of WiFi and take a pic or two if I desire (without any fees or extra charges)? 

I have an LG G4 I don't have a US add on or anything. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Option 1: turn off data. As long as you don't make any calls or send any text messages you won't be charged. Option 2: remove the sim card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[i]Airplane mode on then turn on [i]wifi is one way of doing it. No mobile services at all except through wifi.

If you reboot the phone for any reason, you may be prompted to exit airplane mode, so be careful.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

[i]Airplane mode on then turn on [i]wifi is one way of doing it. No mobile services at al...

I put on Airplane Mode, then tried to put on my WiFi and it didn't seem to be working (at my house) so I left my phone at home when I went to the States. 
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

[i]Airplane mode on then turn on [i]wifi is one way of doing it. No mobile services at al...

If Wi-Fi is enabled when you switch over to Airplane mode, Wi-Fi is automatically disabled. You have to go into Settings > Wi-Fi, or swipe down from the top of the screen to invoke the notifications window shade to enable Wi-Fi again. It may take up to 10 seconds for the phone to 'see' your Wi-Fi network. Just tested this on my friends LG G4 and it took 5.5 seconds to find my Wi-Fi network, first try. A second try took only 3 seconds.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

You are correct again.  There was a time lapse (which I didn't wait for) between when I switched the WiFi back on, in Airplane mode. 

I'll do this on my next trip to Michigan to shop.  Seems like the safest way to avoid charges.
Turning off data... but if someone calls or texts you (and you don't pickup) are you charged?

Airplane mode was what I was thinking about.  Seems like the best bet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gibson wrote:

Turning off data... but if someone calls or texts you (and you don't pickup) are you charged?

Ai...

Incoming texts are free. Incoming calls are not charged unless you answer them. Just don't check VM from your phone, that would be charged.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gibson wrote:

Ai...

You are charged if you answer the call or if you send a text. There's no charge for incoming texts. If you send one text, you will automatically get charged $5, which gives you 100 outgoing texts.
Gibson wrote:

Ai...

Can you not just turn off roaming? Don't answer calls or send texts unless you are on WIFI (and use an app like Fongo for making calls back to Canada)