Koodo Community

Community

Solved

data usage recorded before i owned the phone?

i just signed up with koodoo today and when i check my data usage it says ive used 520 of 750 mb and that it was last updated at 11:27 am. i didnt even own the phone until about 2 pm. how can this be? it also says my billing period ends in 6 days. shouldnt it just be starting?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Tyler,

Billing periods are fixed in advance. Your billing period does not start the day you sign up with Koodo, it's the day that Koodo resets the billing period. So your period ends in 6 days to finish your billing cycle and restarts for the full month in the 6 days.

As for your data usage, I'm not too sure why that hapenned, you may want to call Koodo using *611 from your mobile phone to ask them about it.

Welcome to Koodo by the way! I'm sure you'll love it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are you checking the data usage on the phone or within your self serve?
Userlevel 4

Hi Tyler,

If you’re a new customer, we give you Unlimited Data for your first 10 days! That means that your 750 MB will start being used after the first 10 days. Hope that helps! 🙂  -Dan

Userlevel 1
Daniel wrote:

Hi Tyler,

If you’re a new customer, we give you Unlimited Data for your first 10 days! That me...

So now you are officially saying that it is unlimited for the first 10 days. If someone uses a few hundred GBs in their first 10 days, will you be OK with it? Assuming the $28 plan gets unlimited data, maybe I should cancel/reactivate a new line every 10 days ^^ $28/month for unlimited 50+ Mbps is pretty good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel wrote:

Hi Tyler,

If you’re a new customer, we give you Unlimited Data for your first 10 days! That me...

The first 10 days of data use is zero rated so that a) new customers have a chance to try out data on their phones, and b) to help prevent new users from running up huge data charges before they figure out how much data their phone uses. If you decide to abuse the system by repeatedly cancelling and signing up again do not be surprised if koodo decides to exercise their right to refuse you service.
Userlevel 1
Daniel wrote:

Hi Tyler,

^^
Userlevel 3
What would concern me also is that if I bought a new phone, why is there 520 MB of data use on it, unless it was a used phone.
Badge +4
Mobile data is pre-enabled from the factory on all Android smartphones. The software updates will download automatically using the phones' mobile data connection. As both Daniel and Timo mention, you have ten days to familiarize yourself with your new phone and how it handles data. I've also written a guide on how to make the most of your data. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/data-and-how-to-make-the-most-of-it