Koodo Community
Solved

Data usage from turning phone on?

• 17 October 2020
  • 9 replies

When I turned my phone off and on 4 or 5 times during one billing month, my bill showed I used 0.091MB of data despite always having mobile data set to off. Which is between 18.64KB~23.3KB per each power on. Is that normal?

LG K4 (2017)

Android 6.0.1

icon

Best answer by nim4165 17 October 2020, 03:20

Yes it is normal and you are not charged for these small data usage. During the initial power up sequence there is a slight delay until all aspects of the setup (like network comm checks, initializing apps, enabling data block and roaming) are put in effect. During this window, there may be data ‘leaks’ that are not blocked by the ‘data block’. Each user is protected and not charged for data leaks up to 250kb/month. You have not exceeded this threshold and should not see a charge for the 0.091MB (91 kb) data mentioned above.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes it is normal and you are not charged for these small data usage. During the initial power up sequence there is a slight delay until all aspects of the setup (like network comm checks, initializing apps, enabling data block and roaming) are put in effect. During this window, there may be data ‘leaks’ that are not blocked by the ‘data block’. Each user is protected and not charged for data leaks up to 250kb/month. You have not exceeded this threshold and should not see a charge for the 0.091MB (91 kb) data mentioned above.

Is the amount of the "leak" the same from different phones when powering on? 20KB for each power on is rather excessive.

Userlevel 7

I am making an assumption that there are two types of data usage during startup. One, which is common to all phones covers data usage consumed by the  Operating System initialization, location initialization ,Input/Output and communication initialization. The second has more to do with initialization of applications which are unique to each phone.  Applications can be setup to disable background processing which also reduced the data usage during initialization but also during operation. My two phones use between 20kb and 75kb during startup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is the amount of the "leak" the same from different phones when powering on? 20KB for each power on is rather excessive.

If you believe that the cause of the data leakage is from restarting your phone (it is likely cause if you have data turned off), You can test this our by removing yoru sim prior to restarting or changing your APN settings so data does not work.

But since this is not a normal function the amount of leakage depends on the phone, OS, apps, etc.  It is extremely difficult to gauge as the leakage shoudl not be happening and is the result of how the phone prioritizes the application of settings to turn data off vs apps that may use data,

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

20kb is definitely not excessive compared to today’s data usage. If you do find it’s excessive, why do you turn off/on your phone so often? 

Userlevel 7

My previous mobile provider (Rogers) usage report allowed me to precisely associate power up events with the data usage at power up.  As I stated above these amounted to 20kb and 35kb for my two phones. If you remove the SIM, you will be eliminating data usage ,Input/Output across the interface (to the koodo network) such as location initialization (interaction cell/tower) and communication initialization. Also, removal of the SIM does not allow you to determine data usage as seen by the koodo system (which determines your data charge).

20kb is definitely not excessive compared to today’s data usage. If you do find it’s excessive, why do you turn off/on your phone so often? 

Same thing you would do to any other electronics: save power. But I never thought shutting my phone on and off is just added costs to my bill. Not against the law to shut down my own devices, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nope, not against the law to close your device. But I really hope you don’t do this to save money, because according to this article you would save almost close to nothing.

About charging a whole phone in a year : 

So, take our average of 19.2 Wh per day, multiplying that by 365 days, we get 7 kWh, which works out at $0.91 a year.

If you want to save power, please do. But modify your APN setting so you don’t have any unwanted data leaks. But then you would need to modify them every time you want to use data. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Same thing you would do to any other electronics: save power. But I never thought shutting my phone on and off is just added costs to my bill. Not against the law to shut down my own devices, right?

What plan do you have?  And how much?   If you are not heavy data user, then prepaid plan might work better for you.  You don’t get charged any extra. If you need something - long distance calls or data - then you buy a booster in advance.  They have promos on data and talk minutes right now too. 
Only thing is that you can’t buy a phone on any Tab.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans