Koodo Community

Community

Data overage! Watch out!


For the few that have no data plan like me, and have set your device to not require data (turned off GPS, auto updates, etc.)...WATCH OUT for changes. I only turn on data for MMS, and have not been charged in the past. But somewhere something has updated and been re-set...because one single recent MMS has cost me $5! Why? Because 0.36MB of data was sent by something in the background.
Shock-free data is of no use to those that have no data to start with. So here's an idea for Koodo to ensure customers don't feel gouged. Give us 5MB or data or so for free! Because at the moment, I can no longer risk using MMS....in case 1KB of data is sent as a result of something running in the background.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

Or they suggest switching to a shock free data plan
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

Again, a shock free data plan is of no use to those without data. All it does is notify the user when they are close to the limit....with no data...we are AT the limit all the time.
But as for the $2 add on for MMS use, I was not aware of that. I will investigate further. Thank you!
Userlevel 4
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

@Goran

I think many folks don't know about this add-on and those that know think it should be free of charge so they don't use it until they have to pay unexpected data charges.
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

Completely agree! It seems well hidden on purpose. Having no data plan is probably not very common, so most are not affected. But given that MMS is supposed to be free, yet requires data be turned on....an add-on that can manage that should be standard as you say. I think people are just tired of being nickled and dimed. Actually the reason I moved to Koodo in the first place.

Thank you all for your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

We are really not trying the hide this feature at all folks. Once you are logged in and go under 'Manage Add-ons' the data block feature is pretty visible. 



Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

It's not really well hidden. I mean, it might not be heavily advertised but it's plainly in add-ons. Perhaps Koodo could make a note in plan selections for pay-per-use data plan choices that it's an option for those that don't want data use at all to avoid unforeseen charges.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

I find it horrible that we need to pay for an add-on to data block but still allow MMS as MMS is included in all plans
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

All Koodo does is offer a 2 dollar data block add-on that allows  MMS to be used.

You do not. Data can be turned off on the phone. Shock free data plans also protect people from surprising bills. 

If it's real concern, prepaid service is available for those who chose. So, there are a number of options. 

Reply