Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Data Charge for a Day When Data Wasn't Used?

I am aware you get a lot of people saying that they're charged for data when it wasn't used or turned on, but please clarify for me this charge I have for $0.74 this month.  I am aware it is a small charge, but I want to know what caused it so that I can prevent worse mistakes in the future.

I checked my data usage information and it says that I used less than 1 MB of data on April 14, 2017.  I am immensely confused by this because I always have my phone set to no data usage so nothing should work if it requires data, and also I was home the entire day of April 14, no one else used my phone, and I did not do anything with my phone that was out of the ordinary and therefore may have required a "turning on" of data.

Please enlighten me on what this charge could possibly be, and if it is a mistake charge on your part please remove it.

Thank you in advance.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Lilbun,

Do you have wi-fi assist turned on, on your phone? What does your phone say it has used the data for? If you go play in settings, you can find what app used that data.
Robert wrote:

Hello Lilbun,

Do you have wi-fi assist turned on, on your phone? What does your phone say it has...

My phone is set to only use wi-fi instead of data, if that's what you mean by wi-fi assist. Checking my phone, though, it says no data has been used by me at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Lilbun,

Do you have wi-fi assist turned on, on your phone? What does your phone say it has...

Wi-Fi assist is a feature in iphones, later samsung phones, and I forget who else has it where the phone will switch to network data if it determines Wi-Fi strength to be low. Which phone do you have?
Robert wrote:

Hello Lilbun,

Samsung Galaxy S5.  It is worth pointing out, though, that I was home the whole day with a strong wi-fi connection, and every time I've had weak wi-fi in the past it would just tell me there's no connection and that my data is shut off.
Robert wrote:

Hello Lilbun,

I am asking the question "Why will Koodo not pay me back the $200.00+ dollars that I had overpaid on my account when my contract was over and I went to a different provider?" Was told at customer service they don't pay it back. I have called multiple times only to get redirected so many times I give up. I want to know HOW I GET MY MONEY BACK!!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Hello Lilbun,

Plus start a new thread if you have something unrelated. If your final bill from Koodo has 200 dollars owing back to you, then yes you are supposed to receive the amount owed to you as a cheque in the mail. Try sending a private message to Koodo via Facebook or DM via Twitter about it. I'm sorry to hear that over the phone you kept getting directed and told you can't get it back. They should be able to settle it for you over FB/Twitter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This forum is inhabited by customers, just like you, who have no insight to Koodo's business plans, and no connection to the internal workings of Koodo. We volunteer to share knowledge about Koodo products and services which we have gained by experience or surmise.  It may be faster to connect with Koodo's staff more directly through a phone call, Facebook or Twitter as described in the Contact Us section at the bottom of the page.
Thank you for clarifying that detail. Contact on Koodo can be somewhat confusing considering they always try to direct you to here or the FAQs for questions but I am emailing them as well. I will message what I find out here in case that helps anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well Koodo won't be able to tell you what used data on your phone, so ti's going to be hard. What does your phone say it has used the data for? If you go play in settings, you can find what app used that data. That might be the best solution
Robert wrote:

Well Koodo won't be able to tell you what used data on your phone, so ti's going to be hard. ...

My phone doesn't have any data usage in its history.  That's why this is so confusing to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Well Koodo won't be able to tell you what used data on your phone, so ti's going to be hard. ...

Your phone may not pick up on tiny amounts of data usage. Indeed, we can't see (well not without a police order) what the data is being used for to protect your privacy. However, it could be an app in the backgrounds that needs a small update. The only true way to ensure no data whatsoever is to take out your SIM card (and still use wi-fi) or our monthly data block add-on for $2.   
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Even with the data being off? That's what I find most confusing...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Yeah....I have an iphone. When you go to settings>cellular>cellular data you can switch it off. There is still connection to our network. But i noticed that some data still trickles through. So it doesn't look like from a device data turn-off perspective it's 100% guaranteed.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Good to know Bernard. I thought that method was 100% sure. 

Thanks!
Robert wrote:

That is incredibly frustrating.  You'd expect an app to at least warn you upon download if that could happen or not.  Or just make it use wi-fi instead...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

You can make most of your apps use just wi-fi. If you go into setting on your phone there is a section where all that can be managed. No app will notify you that they are using network data vs. wi-fi. Unfortunately. 
Robert wrote:

Thankyou, Bernard, for your help.  For the record, Koodo has also gotten back to me about the inquiry and confirmed that a software update is likely the reason.  I will definitely look into restricting my settings more but thanks to everyone for their input.