Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Data Block w/ Pic Msg

I just noticed a new add-on called "Data Block w/ Pic Msg" for $2/month. There is no explanation as to what this includes exactly. Does it include incoming and outgoing picture messages? Is it unlimited?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Amy,

This add-on blocks all data to your phone, which is great for people who have no data included with their plans as their is no accidental surprises. The traditional way this add-on worked was that it blocked all  data, including picture messages. Now, this add-on still blocks the data but allows the sending and receiving of picture messages. All plans already come with unlimited picture messaging.
I have this and can receive picture messages, but whenever I try to send one it never actually gets sent.  Why is that?

I have the same issue - still can't send pictures - can you help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

Make sure that mobile data is turned on in your phone settings. If you have the data block, Koodo will block all other data to your phone. If not, just keep in mind what apps you've allowed access to mobile data.

If that wasn't the problem, make sure your APN settings are correct:

http://aide.koodomobile.com/plans-add-ons-data-and-other-services/data-on-android/How-do-I-setup-dat...
Userlevel 1
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

wait so u said before it blocks data and still can get and receive pic msg now data has to be on if we have data block 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

Data Block w/Pic Messaging disables your phone from using data but lets through "data usage" for picture messages so you will need to have data turned on but it will just allow you to send and receive picture messages.
To answer your question, data has to be on to send picture messages, add-on or no add-on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

Two different products. There was a data block which prevented all data use - meant for folks (or their kids) with voice & text plans only. At the time, many phones allowed APN settings to be adjusted to allow MMS only. New phones did not allow this APN trick. As ever more folks wanted the ability to send MMS, which uses data, Koodo implemented a new product which blocks all data except MMS data.
Userlevel 1
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

Will I still get chagerd for the data is used if I have data block but send a picture
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

If you have the $2 data block, you will not be charged further for data. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

Without the $2 data block, you have to turn on data when you send or receive a picture message, and then turn it off immediately after, and hope that no chargeable email sync or app update wants to happen while data is on.

For $2 a month, you (and Koodo) don't have to kvetch over mystery bills.
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

Does the Data Block w/Pic Messaging app block wifi data as well?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

It blocks all cellular data but allows picture messaging. This would not block wifi.
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

So how to delete the Data Block w/ Pic Msg add-on? except for phone service, is there any other self-online operation can delete it ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

If I recall, you need to contact Koodo to remove this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

You should be able to remove it through self serve.

Add: I don't remember if you need to call in to remove this...  (I'm easy to forget things,lol). But, I remember some people had error to remove it, so they need to call in. (SS function didn't/doesn't work here and there...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Caroline Sevigny wrote:

Remember that you always have the option of contacting Koodo via Facebook or Twitter messages if you'd prefer not to wait on hold.
Userlevel 2
Wow...with Rogers/Fido you can block your data for no additional charge. 

I think businesses should start to move away from using Facebook considering the lack of privacy associated with it. Of course, some people who have little concern for privacy will not like it...and others have no idea how nasty FB is.