Koodo Community
Solved

Data accounting way off for TCL 10 pro

• 7 February 2021
  • 9 replies

So I bought a TCL 10 pro about a month ago, and changed plans from 10 Gigs a month to 12. I often have to be on data at work, so I usually got close to the 10 GB limit with my old Pixel 2 XL. But since I switched phones, I seem to be using data a lot more, and the phone doesn’t seem to be tracking it correctly. I just installed Data Manager to see if I can get some more information, since my phone’s accounting is not even close to how much the carrier says I’ve used.

The operator accounting says I’ve used 11.15 GB, but when I go to Mobile data usage, the total is closer to 6 GB when I add up all the apps. I’d really like to know if I’m missing something obvious.

icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 8 February 2021, 19:37

Hey Tino! I'd be less concerned if the device app accounting was at all close to the operator accounting, but it's not. I have no idea what app or service is sucking away almost 4 gigs of data in that balance. Is that normal?

The graph at the top of your screenshot IS the total counted by the device, and, as I said, it appears to be reading just over 11 GB. As for the itemized list not showing all data used, it may be a software bug. Apparently some people were reporting the same issue with Samsung phones after the One UI2 update a year or so ago. (https://support.google.com/android/thread/22454577?hl=en ) A free third party data tracking app is likely the best workaround if you particularly need to know which app is using the data.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Does it include OS usage and videos and such? Are you using the phones data tracker in settings or just a third party one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Also, can you checked the data usage cycle on your phone match with your billing cycle?

Hey Goran, thanks for the reply. I have the phone tracking it in settings, and I just got the third party one recently to supplement it when the numbers didn't add up. Android OS and Google are both listed as using data, so I think it's tracking the OS?

Mayumi, thanks for the reply  the phone data tracking is on the same day as the billing cycle.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you post a screen shot of what the data tracker is showing and what Koodo is showing?

Sure! First the device accounting:

And now Koodo:

Any thoughts? Could the phone not be tracking app data correctly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The itemized data usage may not show everything, but looking at that screenshot the total data used looks to be pretty much exactly what Koodo says it is.

Hey Tino! I'd be less concerned if the device app accounting was at all close to the operator accounting, but it's not. I have no idea what app or service is sucking away almost 4 gigs of data in that balance. Is that normal?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The graph at the top of your screenshot IS the total counted by the device, and, as I said, it appears to be reading just over 11 GB. As for the itemized list not showing all data used, it may be a software bug. Apparently some people were reporting the same issue with Samsung phones after the One UI2 update a year or so ago. (https://support.google.com/android/thread/22454577?hl=en ) A free third party data tracking app is likely the best workaround if you particularly need to know which app is using the data.

Hey folks,

So I’ve rolled over to a new month, and it still looks like my itemized app list is nowhere close to what the device and Koodo is accounting. The interesting twist is that two third party tracking apps agree with the app list so far (close to 1 GB used), and not the device or Koodo (2.2 GB), which is incredibly aggravating as I try to fish this out. I think I know which apps are the culprits (games, big surprise), but it’s frustrating to not know why my data seems to be so much higher on this new phone.

Thanks for the help anyway.